1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Done by an Insulating Sphere on a test charge

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An insulating sphere of radius 0.240 has uniform charge density 6.50×10−9 . A small object that can be treated as a point charge is released from rest just outside the surface of the sphere. The small object has positive charge 4.10×10−6

How much work does the electric field of the sphere do on the object as the object moves to a point very far from the sphere?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use kQq/r to find the work done but I'm honestly very lost about where to start.

Any help is extremely appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got the right formula, now use it. You can treat the sphere as a point charge concentrated at the center of the sphere. What's the total charge of the sphere?

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    would it be the charge density multiplied by the surface area of the sphere?, so 4/3pir^3(6.5x10^-9)?

5. May 21, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4/3pir^3 is the volume of the sphere, not the surface area. But I still think that's the correct thing to do. If it's an insulating sphere they probably gave you the volume density not the surface density.

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    bleh stupid me, appreciate all the help Dick :)

Close please solved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted