Work Done by an Insulating Sphere on a test charge

In summary: The sphere has a charge of 6.50×10−9 , so the electric field does work on the object as it moves to a point very far from the sphere. The work done is 4.10×10−6
tyler3902

Homework Statement

An insulating sphere of radius 0.240 has uniform charge density 6.50×10−9 . A small object that can be treated as a point charge is released from rest just outside the surface of the sphere. The small object has positive charge 4.10×10−6

How much work does the electric field of the sphere do on the object as the object moves to a point very far from the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use kQq/r to find the work done but I'm honestly very lost about where to start.

Any help is extremely appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tyler3902 said:

Homework Statement

An insulating sphere of radius 0.240 has uniform charge density 6.50×10−9 . A small object that can be treated as a point charge is released from rest just outside the surface of the sphere. The small object has positive charge 4.10×10−6

How much work does the electric field of the sphere do on the object as the object moves to a point very far from the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use kQq/r to find the work done but I'm honestly very lost about where to start.

Any help is extremely appreciated, thanks.

You've got the right formula, now use it. You can treat the sphere as a point charge concentrated at the center of the sphere. What's the total charge of the sphere?

would it be the charge density multiplied by the surface area of the sphere?, so 4/3pir^3(6.5x10^-9)?

tyler3902 said:
would it be the charge density multiplied by the surface area of the sphere?, so 4/3pir^3(6.5x10^-9)?

4/3pir^3 is the volume of the sphere, not the surface area. But I still think that's the correct thing to do. If it's an insulating sphere they probably gave you the volume density not the surface density.

bleh stupid me, appreciate all the help Dick :)

Close please solved

1. What is the definition of work done by an insulating sphere on a test charge?

The work done by an insulating sphere on a test charge is the amount of energy transferred from the sphere to the charge as a result of the electric field created by the sphere.

2. How is the work done by an insulating sphere on a test charge calculated?

The work done is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field at the location of the test charge by the magnitude of the charge and the displacement of the charge in the direction of the electric field.

3. What factors affect the work done by an insulating sphere on a test charge?

The work done is affected by the magnitude of the electric field, the magnitude of the charge, and the distance between the sphere and the charge.

4. Can the work done by an insulating sphere on a test charge be negative?

Yes, the work done can be negative if the displacement of the test charge is in the opposite direction of the electric field created by the insulating sphere.

5. What is the significance of the work done by an insulating sphere on a test charge?

The work done is a measure of the energy transferred from the insulating sphere to the test charge, and it can be used to calculate the potential energy of the charge in the electric field created by the sphere.