Work Done by Gravity on 265kg Load: 6.24x10^4 J

In summary: So when you took the cosine, you should have used 180 degrees instead of 0 degrees. In summary, the correct work done by gravity on the load is the same magnitude but opposite sign as the incorrect attempt due to using the wrong angle (180 degrees instead of 0 degrees) in the cosine function.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A 265-kg load is lifted 24.0 m vertically with an acceleration =0.190 g by a single cable.

Determine the work done by gravity on the load.

Homework Equations

Force of Gravity = mg
W = F * d * cos (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I know why I did this incorrectly but I want to make sure.

First attempt: Force gravity = (265 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 2.6 * 10^3 N.
W = (2.6 x 10^3 N) (24.0 m) * cos (0°)
W = 6.24 x 10^4 J.

The correct answer is the same magnitude but the opposite sign. Is that because the angle should have been 180° because gravity always points down? The displacement is up so therefore the angle between the net force and the displacement would have been 180°, not 0°?

Physics news on Phys.org
PeachBanana said:

Homework Statement

A 265-kg load is lifted 24.0 m vertically with an acceleration =0.190 g by a single cable.

Determine the work done by gravity on the load.

Homework Equations

Force of Gravity = mg
W = F * d * cos (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I know why I did this incorrectly but I want to make sure.

First attempt: Force gravity = (265 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 2.6 * 10^3 N.
W = (2.6 x 10^3 N) (24.0 m) * cos (0°)
W = 6.24 x 10^4 J.

The correct answer is the same magnitude but the opposite sign. Is that because the angle should have been 180° because gravity always points down? The displacement is up so therefore the angle between the net force and the displacement would have been 180°, not 0°?
That looks fine. What's your question?

I did it incorrectly the first time but I wanted to make sure I knew why it was wrong.

Yes, if your displacement is in the positive direction, then in this case gravity must be in the opposite direction (180 degrees from positive direction).

Yes, you are correct. The angle should be 180° because gravity always acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. Therefore, the work done by gravity in this situation would be -6.24x10^4 J, indicating that gravity is doing negative work on the load as it is being lifted. This is because the force of gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in the negative sign in the work equation. It is important to pay attention to the direction of forces and displacement when calculating work done by a force.

What is the meaning of "Work Done by Gravity on 265kg Load: 6.24x10^4 J"?

The phrase "Work Done by Gravity on 265kg Load: 6.24x10^4 J" refers to the amount of energy required to lift a 265kg load against the force of gravity. In this case, the amount of work done is 6.24x10^4 joules (J).

How is work done by gravity calculated?

The work done by gravity can be calculated using the formula W = mgh, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height the object is lifted. In this case, the mass is 265kg and the height is not specified.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by gravity?

The unit of measurement for work done by gravity is joules (J). One joule is equal to the amount of work done when a force of one newton is applied over a distance of one meter in the direction of the force.

How does the weight of the object affect the work done by gravity?

The weight of an object does not affect the work done by gravity. Work is only dependent on the mass of the object and the height it is lifted. Weight, on the other hand, is affected by the force of gravity and can vary depending on the location of the object.

What other factors can affect the work done by gravity?

The work done by gravity can also be affected by other external forces, such as friction or air resistance. If these forces are present, they can decrease the amount of work done by gravity on the object.