Work done by motor pulling up elevator

In summary, to calculate the average power required of the force exerted by the elevator motor on the cab via the cable, we need to consider the work done in raising the elevator and the time it takes to do so. The counterweight also plays a role in the amount of work required. By calculating the potential energy difference between the top and bottom positions and dividing it by the time needed, we can determine the average power needed.
JUSTaROCK

Homework Statement

A fully loaded freight elevator has a cab with a total mass of 1490 kg, which is required to travel upward 58
m in 2.1 minutes, starting and ending at rest. The elevator's counterweight has a mass of only 985 kg, so the
elevator motor must help. What average power is required of the force the motor exerts on the cab via the cable?

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=F * D D= displacement (distance traveled)
P = W/t P= power, t = time
v=u + at u = initial velocity, v = final velocity
v^2 = u^2 +2aD
D= ut + 1/2(a)t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve for a by using the formula D= ut + 1/2(a)t^2 then taking that a and multiplying it with the mass then multiplying that by distance and then dividing by the time needed to be done but i can't get it right and i feel like i should do something with the counterweight but i don't know what any thing will help thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
JUSTaROCK said:
I have tried to solve for a by using the formula D= ut + 1/2(a)t^2 then taking that a and multiplying it with the mass then multiplying that by distance and then dividing by the time needed to be done but i can't get it right and i feel like i should do something with the counterweight but i don't know what any thing will help thank you

I don't recommend using kinematics on this one. I think you're supposed to assume that the elevator travels up slowly, at a constant velocity. (Constant velocity corresponds to 0 acceleration :wink: .)

How much work is required to raise the elevator all the way up? All that work is done in how much time? So how much work is done per unit time? What does that mean? :tongue2:

sorry don't follow you on the work done per unit time but i do understand the 0 acceleration

Are you considering average power or instantaneous power in your calculation?
How much work is actually being done? How is the counterweight affecting the system?

JUSTaROCK said:
sorry don't follow you on the work done per unit time

What is the potential energy difference between the situations where the elevator is at the top and bottom (considering the counterweight too, which is helping the situation)? How much energy per second would be required to get it all that change in energy done in 2.1 minutes?

i got it thank you

1. What is work done by a motor pulling up an elevator?

The work done by a motor pulling up an elevator refers to the amount of energy required to lift the elevator from one level to another. This work is done by the motor's force against the force of gravity acting on the elevator.

2. How is work done by a motor calculated?

The work done by a motor can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the motor by the distance the elevator is lifted. This equation is expressed as W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What factors affect the work done by a motor pulling up an elevator?

The work done by a motor pulling up an elevator is affected by several factors, including the weight of the elevator and its contents, the height the elevator is lifted, and the efficiency of the motor.

4. How does the work done by a motor impact the energy consumption of an elevator?

The work done by a motor directly affects the energy consumption of an elevator. The more work the motor has to do, the more energy it will consume. This is why it is important for elevators to be designed and operated efficiently to minimize energy usage.

5. Can the work done by a motor be reduced?

Yes, the work done by a motor can be reduced by implementing energy-saving measures, such as using a more efficient motor, optimizing the weight and balance of the elevator, and utilizing regenerative braking systems. Regular maintenance and modernization of elevators can also help reduce the work done by the motor.