Work done by the gravity force

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the work done on a 28 lb suitcase by different forces as it travels 15 ft up a frictionless inclined plane at 30 degrees. The work done by the force P is 270 ft-lb, the work done by the normal force is 0, and the work done by gravity is -210 ft-lb according to the answer given in the book. However, the person having trouble getting the same result and is unsure of the correct calculation for the work done by gravity. Different suggestions are given, such as using the equation W=mgh and considering the height the object is pulled up.
eil2001
I have this question:

A 28 lb suitcase is pulled up a frictionless plane inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal by a force P with a magnitude of 18 lb and acting parallel to the plane. If the suitcase travels 15 ft along the incline, calculate:
(a) the work done on the suitcase by the force P,
(b) the work done by the gravity force,
(c) the work done by the normal force,
(d) the total work done on the suitcase.

I got (a) from W=Pscos(theta), so (18 lb)(15 ft)(cos 0) = 270 ft-lb and part (c) b/c W=0 for the normal force since it's perpendicular to the motion, but I can't get part (b). The answer says it's -210 ft-lb, but I can't seem to get this. I've drawn components, so there's the mg going straight down from the suitcase on the incline, and it's y-component is mgsin(theta) and the x-component is mgcos(theta), but I don't really know how to get the work done by gravity. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity's work is -mgsin30d in this case.
In incline problems gravity has 2 components: 1) y-component, mgcos30, which doesn't do work (perpendicular), and the other one is mgsin30. W=F.d (dot prodoct) or W=Fdcos
(theta). ==> work of this force is mgsin30d(cos180), which is -mgdsin30..

Hi, thanks for your help, but when I do -mgdsin(30), I get -(28 lb)(32 ft/s^2)(15 ft)sin(30) = -6,720 ft-lb, not the -210 ft-lb that the book says I should get. Any ideas?

I have no other idea..b/c I'm sure my anwer is correct :)...maybe the book's answer is wrong or the book's given numbers are not the same as you've posted...
or maybe it wants the answer in jouls not ft*lb...

Notice that the work of gravity is actually mgh, which "h" is the height the object has pulled up, so h=dsin(theta) and the total work equation is the one I posted earlier: -mgdsin30

Last edited:

1. What is work done by the gravity force?

Work done by the gravity force is a measure of the amount of energy transferred when an object moves due to the force of gravity. It is a scalar quantity that is measured in joules (J).

2. How is work done by the gravity force calculated?

Work done by the gravity force is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity (in newtons) by the displacement (in meters) of the object in the direction of the force. The formula for work done is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

3. Does work done by the gravity force depend on the mass of the object?

No, work done by the gravity force does not depend on the mass of the object. The force of gravity on an object is directly proportional to its mass, but work is only affected by the magnitude of the force and the displacement of the object.

4. What is the relationship between work done by the gravity force and potential energy?

Work done by the gravity force is equal to the change in potential energy of an object. When an object is lifted against the force of gravity, work is done and the object gains potential energy. Conversely, when an object falls due to gravity, work is done by the gravitational force and the object's potential energy decreases.

5. Can work done by the gravity force be negative?

Yes, work done by the gravity force can be negative if the displacement of the object is in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. This means that the object is moving in the direction of the force and the force is doing work to slow it down or bring it to a stop.