1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work: Emptying a 2x1x1 box of water.

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much work is required to empty a 2x1x1 ft box of water? Assume density of water is 62.5 lb/ft3.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int_a^b A(x)xdx[/tex]
    [tex]A(x)=lw=2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]62.5\int_0^1 2xdx=125\left[ \frac{x^2}{2} \right]_0^1=62.5[/tex]

Did I get it right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2
    looks good to me. Although if I were to give advice, I would say don't try to memorize those kinds of formulas. Instead, try to remember a method for setting these types of problems up. Usually this involves some form of considering a small "slice" of water of width [itex]\Delta x [/itex] and finding the small amount of work [itex] \Delta W [/itex] and then summing up over the entire volume of the water.
    this method might seem tedious for simple problems, but it might give you a better understanding of what is really going on here.

4. Jun 19, 2011 #3
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. The whole point of covering work is to solidify the concept of the integral being an infinite sum of infinitesimals. I didn't show or explain my derivation, but I didn't memorise the formula, as it appears.

I was just wondering, because this was a question on a test and I was beginning to believe I missed it. I'll see for sure tomorrow (Monday).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook