Work/Energy Problem: Maximum Height of Daredevil on Motorcycle

• Thread starter myelevatorbeat
  • Start date
In summary, the motorcycle rider reaches a height of 77.6 meters when he exits the end of the ramp at a speed of 36.8 meters per second.
myelevatorbeat

Homework Statement

A daredevil on a motorcycle leaves the end of a ramp with a speed of 39.0 m/s as in Figure P5.23. If his speed is 36.8 m/s when he reaches the peak of the path, what is the maximum height that he reaches? Ignore friction and air resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I would start by finding the height when he is going off the ramp so I did this:

V^2=Vo^2-2g(Y-Yo)
39^2=0^2-2(9.80)(Y-Yo)
and wound up with
(Y-Yo)=-77.6 m

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly because I got a negative height. Should I just get rid of the negative sign and use this as my height?

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't just get rid of the negative sign, because the number is not right either. You didn't even use 36.8m/sec in your solution. What makes you think it doesn't matter?

Vijay Bhatnagar said:
Correct solution is as follows : The initial velocity Vo (36.8 m/s) can be resolved into x and y components : Vo(x) = Vo cos (theta) and Vo(y) = Vo sin (theta) where theta is the angle made by the ramp with the horizontal. At the highest point, only the verticle component of velocity becomes zero (Vo(x) remains constant throughout). Substituting V = 0, Vo = Vo sin(theta), a = -g in V^2 - Vo^2 = 2a(Y - Yo) we get

-Vo^2 [sin(theta)]^2 = -2g (Y - Yo)

(Y - Yo) = Vo^2 [sin(theta)]^2/2g

Hope this helps.

You don't need to resolve it into components. In fact, I think this is where the OP went wrong. In this problem the equation being used expresses conservation of energy. The energies only depend on the difference in the magnitudes of the velocities and the vertical displacement.

The initial velocity Vo (39 m/s) can be resolved into x and y components : Vox = Vo cos (theta) and Voy = Vo sin (theta) where theta is the angle made by the ramp with the horizontal. At the highest point, the verticle component of velocity becomes zero. The horizontal component Vox remains constant throughout as there is no force acting on the motor cyclist in that direction. Thus, at the highest point Vox = Vo cos(theta) = 36.8 m/s. Solving get theta. Substituting Vy = 0, Vo(y) = Vo sin(theta), a = -g in Vy^2 - Voy^2 = 2a(Y - Yo) solve for (Y - Yo).

Hope this helps.

Vijay Bhatnagar said:
The initial velocity Vo (39 m/s) can be resolved into x and y components : Vox = Vo cos (theta) and Voy = Vo sin (theta) where theta is the angle made by the ramp with the horizontal. At the highest point, the verticle component of velocity becomes zero. The horizontal component Vox remains constant throughout as there is no force acting on the motor cyclist in that direction. Thus, at the highest point Vox = Vo cos(theta) = 36.8 m/s. Solving get theta. Substituting Vy = 0, Vo(y) = Vo sin(theta), a = -g in Vy^2 - Voy^2 = 2a(Y - Yo) solve for (Y - Yo).

Hope this helps.

You are correct that you CAN do it that way. But you can also do it without solving for theta using the formula presented by the OP. The only problem is that the OP is not using it right.

Dick said:
You don't need to resolve it into components. In fact, I think this is where the OP went wrong. In this problem the equation being used expresses conservation of energy. The energies only depend on the difference in the magnitudes of the velocities and the vertical displacement.

This can be an alternative approach : KE at the highest point - KE at the end of the ramp = Change in PE . I agree this is the better approach.

1. What is a work/energy problem?

A work/energy problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the amount of work and energy involved in a given scenario. It typically involves objects moving and exerting forces on each other.

2. How is the maximum height of a daredevil on a motorcycle calculated?

The maximum height of a daredevil on a motorcycle can be calculated using the equation: height = (velocity^2 * sin^2(angle)) / (2 * acceleration due to gravity). This equation takes into account the initial velocity and angle of the motorcycle, as well as the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the maximum height of a daredevil on a motorcycle?

The maximum height of a daredevil on a motorcycle can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the motorcycle, the angle at which it is launched, the weight of the motorcycle and rider, and air resistance. These factors can all impact the amount of work and energy involved in the daredevil's jump.

4. Can the maximum height of a daredevil on a motorcycle be greater than the initial height?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum height of a daredevil on a motorcycle to be greater than the initial height. This can happen if the motorcycle has enough initial velocity and is launched at a high enough angle to counteract the effects of gravity and air resistance.

5. How accurate are calculations for the maximum height of a daredevil on a motorcycle?

The accuracy of calculations for the maximum height of a daredevil on a motorcycle depends on the accuracy of the initial measurements and the assumptions made in the equations used. Factors such as air resistance and the weight of the motorcycle and rider can also affect the accuracy of the calculations. However, with precise measurements and realistic assumptions, the calculations can be fairly accurate.