Work-Energy Theorem rock throw Question

In summary: The total work would be -300 J, and then you can proceed with the rest of the problem.In summary, the problem involves a 20-N rock being thrown vertically into the air from ground level. At a height of 15.0 m, it is traveling at 25.0 m/s upwards. Using the work-energy theorem, the initial speed of the rock can be found by setting the total work equal to the change in kinetic energy. The mass of the rock is determined to be 2.04 kg, and the total work is found to be -300 J. This leads to an initial kinetic energy of 637.5 J. From this, the initial speed of the rock can be calculated using the equation K =
hollystella
This is the problem:
You throw a 20-N rock vertically into the air from ground level. You observe that when it is 15.0 m above the ground, it is traveling at 25.0 m/s upward. Use the work-energy theorem to find a) its speed just as it left the ground; b) its maximum height.

I drew a free-body diagram with an unknown force F pointing upwards, and the mg = 20 N pointing down. I also found the mass of the object by using 20 N = mg to get m = 2.04 kg.

I know that the work theorem is W(total) = K2 - K1, with K = (1/2)m(v)^2. I figured out K2 with the given 25.0 m/s and the 2.04 kg, which came out to be 637.5 J. Because I'm trying to find the initial speed, K1 looked like this = (1/2)(2.04 kg)(v1)^2. I tried to find out what W(total) was to complete this problem, but then became stuck because, in W = Fs, I didn't know what F was. I couldn't calculate F = ma in the vertical direction because I didn't have an acceleration. How do I go about figuring out W(total) from this information?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why there should be an unknown force F pointing upwards as the rock is rising?

I was thinking there would be a force upwards because it was thrown up into the air.

Is there another way I should be looking at this?

hollystella said:
I drew a free-body diagram with an unknown force F pointing upwards, and the mg = 20 N pointing down.
As soon as the rock leaves contact with your hand, the only force on it is gravity (ignoring air resistance, of course).

I see...

So then W(total) = (20 N) * (15 m)? Then W(total) would be 300 J. Then I would be able to put that into W(tot) = K2 - K1, find what K1 is and then equate that to (1/2)m*(v1)^2 to find the initial speed.

Is that right?

Yes, but realize that the work done on the rock is negative since the force (down) and the displacement (up) are in opposite directions.

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of that object.

2. What is the significance of the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem helps us understand the relationship between work and energy. It allows us to calculate the amount of work done on an object by measuring its change in kinetic energy.

3. How does the Work-Energy Theorem apply to the "rock throw" question?

In the "rock throw" question, the Work-Energy Theorem can be used to calculate the amount of work done on the rock as it is thrown, which will also tell us the change in its kinetic energy.

4. Can the Work-Energy Theorem be applied to other situations besides the "rock throw" question?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to any situation where work is done on an object, causing a change in its kinetic energy. This includes situations such as pushing a car, lifting weights, or throwing a ball.

5. Are there any limitations to the Work-Energy Theorem?

While the Work-Energy Theorem is a useful tool for understanding the relationship between work and energy, it does have some limitations. It only applies to situations where there is a change in kinetic energy, and it does not take into account other forms of energy such as potential energy or friction.