1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work & Energy

1. Oct 29, 2004 #1
    Problem: The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 100 lb disk and the surface of the conveyor belt is 0.2. If the conveyor belt is moving with a speed of 6 ft/s when the disk is placed in contact with it determine the number of revolutions the disk makes before it reaches a constant angular velocity.

So this is what I have so far:

At state 1: T1 = 1/2 * m * V^2 + 1/2 * Ig * [tex] \omega^2[/tex]

Work done from state 1 to state 2: U = Moment * [tex] \theta[/tex]

Moment = friction *(0.5) = (0.2)*(100)*(0.5)

At State 2: I get stuck right here. Don't I have to know how far the disk travels to be able to calculate velcocity at state 2 and so on.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2004 #2
  4. Oct 31, 2004 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay:
    1) The kinetic friction will stop acting once the CONTACT POINT on the disk has achieved the velocity of the conveyor belt (no relative motion!)
    2) Use Newton's 2.law to determine the velocity of the center of mass as a function of time.
    3) Calculate the torque of the frictional force with respect to the center of mass, and gain an expression for the disk's angular velocity as a function of time.
    4) The contact point velocity is given by the rigid body motion formula; use this to determine the time at which the contact point achieves the conveyor belt velocity.
    5) Use this time to determine the number of revolutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?