Work Function Questions - Help Bob Find the Answer

In summary, the conversation is about understanding work functions and solving a problem involving the wavelength of light, maximum speed of electrons, and energy conversions. One person is asking for help with their calculations and another person points out a missing variable.
bobbles22
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand work functions and am working through a paper but keep coming up with the wrong answer. Can anyone point out where I'm going wrong please...

Wavelength of light incident on surface = 560 nm
Max speed of ejected electrons = 1.67 x 105 ms-1
1 eV = 1.602 x 10-19 J

I'm using 0.5mv2=hf-ø rearranged as ø=hf-0.5mv2

Putting in the figures above:

=(6.63 x 10-34) x (1 / (5.6 x 10-19)) - 0.5 (1.67 x 105)2 x 9.109 x 10-31

= 1.18 x 10-27 - 12.70 x 10-21 = -1.27 x 10-20 J

I'm sure I'm not meant to come up with a negative answer.

Many thanks for any assistance you can give.

Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bob, shouldn't there be a c in there?

1. What is a work function?

A work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material.

2. How is work function measured?

Work function is measured by using a device called a Kelvin probe, which uses the photoelectric effect to determine the energy required to remove an electron from the material's surface.

3. What factors affect the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is affected by factors such as the material's composition, surface structure, and temperature. It can also be influenced by the presence of impurities or coatings on the surface.

4. Why is work function important in materials science?

Work function is important in materials science because it affects the electrical and optical properties of materials. It also plays a role in determining the efficiency of devices such as solar cells and transistors.

5. Can work function be changed?

Yes, the work function of a material can be changed by altering its surface properties, such as by applying a coating or treating it with certain chemicals. It can also be changed by applying an external electric field.