Solving a Homework Question: 25N Force Opposite to Displacement?

• Thread starter dragon84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a box being pushed by a 25N force in the opposite direction of its displacement. The problem involves finding the work done by the force, which can be calculated by multiplying the force by the displacement and the cosine of the angle between them. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the box slowing down due to the negative acceleration caused by the force. The person asking the question initially struggles to understand the problem, but is eventually able to solve it with the help of the expert.
dragon84
I have a homework question that has a box and it has the 25N force acting on it in the opposite direction of the displacement. Is this possible or is the force poining in the wrong direction. I email my teacher but he hasnt replied yet.
You can view a diagram i made
HERE

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the problem... The acceleration will simply be negative, that is, the body will slow down. What's bothering you?

I don't know what's bothering me, it just does. I am also not looking for accleration. I am looking for W.

the problem says-

A constant force of 25N is applied as shown to a block which undergoes a displacement 7.5m to the right along a frictionless surface while the force acts. What is the work done by the force?

do I just use W=(F cos [tex]\theta[/tex]) s
.....W=(25 cos 30) 7.5=162.37J

If that's it(which I doubt b/c I don't know what I am talking about when it come to physcs), its way too easy of a prob that my professor usually gives out for HW

You do just that, only the angle is now 210 instead of 30, that's all. (x's direction is to the right, so the angle with that direction isn't 30 but 180+30=210).
So you'll get exactly the negative value you got, which would mean to body does work on the guy that applies the force... (For instance, it could accelerate something that would be attached to it).

Ok, thanks for helping me out with that. I guess it was hard for me to understand b/c I was looking into it too much b/c my professor never gives out easy homework problems.

1. How do you calculate the work done when a 25N force is acting opposite to the displacement?

The work done can be calculated using the formula W = Fd cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J).

3. How do I determine the direction of the work done when a 25N force is acting opposite to the displacement?

The direction of the work done is determined by the angle between the force and displacement vectors. If the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the work done is negative and if the angle is less than 90 degrees, the work done is positive.

4. Can the work done be negative when a 25N force is acting opposite to the displacement?

Yes, the work done can be negative when the angle between the force and displacement vectors is greater than 90 degrees. This indicates that the force is working against the displacement, resulting in a negative work done.

5. What other factors should be considered when solving a homework question involving a 25N force acting opposite to the displacement?

Some other factors that should be considered when solving this type of homework question include the direction of the displacement, the angle between the force and displacement vectors, and the type of motion (e.g. constant velocity, acceleration, etc.). It is also important to double check the units of measurement and use the correct formula for calculating work done.