1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work hw question

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1
    I have a hw question that has a box and it has the 25N force acting on it in the opposite direction of the displacement. Is this possible or is the force poining in the wrong direction. I email my teacher but he hasnt replied yet.
    You can view a diagram i made
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2004 #2
    I don't see the problem... The acceleration will simply be negative, that is, the body will slow down. What's bothering you?
  4. Dec 12, 2004 #3
    I dont know whats bothering me, it just does. Im also not looking for accleration. Im looking for W.

the problem says-

A constant force of 25N is applied as shown to a block which undergoes a displacement 7.5m to the right along a frictionless surface while the force acts. What is the work done by the force?

do I just use W=(F cos [tex]\theta[/tex]) s
    ..................W=(25 cos 30) 7.5=162.37J

If thats it(which I doubt b/c I dont know what im talking about when it come to physcs), its way too easy of a prob that my professor usually gives out for HW
  5. Dec 12, 2004 #4
    You do just that, only the angle is now 210 instead of 30, that's all. (x's direction is to the right, so the angle with that direction isn't 30 but 180+30=210).
    So you'll get exactly the negative value you got, which would mean to body does work on the guy that applies the force... (For instance, it could accelerate something that would be attached to it).
  6. Dec 12, 2004 #5
    Ok, thanks for helping me out with that. I guess it was hard for me to understand b/c I was looking into it too much b/c my professor never gives out easy hw problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?