1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work of a child going down a slide

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 28.0 kg child slides down a long slide in a playground. She starts from rest at a height h1 of 24.00 m. When she is partway down the slide, at a height h2 of 15.00 m, she is moving at a speed of 8.00 m/s. Calculate the mechanical energy lost due to friction (as heat, etc.).

2. Relevant equations

non conservative work = (final KE + final PE) - (initial KE + initial PE)

3. The attempt at a solution

initial KE cancels since the child starts from rest so it'll be the sum of the final kinetic energy and potential energy minus the initial potential energy. I worked that out and got -1573.6 J but when I go to check the answer it's wrong and I keep reworking and getting the same answer, but for some reason it's wrong. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I never liked that "non-conservative work" forumula. It makes it harder to understand than it is.

HOw about this:

How much mechanical energy did the girl start with (KE + PE at the top)?

How much mechanical energy does the girl have part way down (KE + PE in the middle)?

How much mechanical energy went missing?

I get the same answer as you, by the way, but when you view it as I described, you can see that you are correct. If you are submitting homework online, then it's probably rejecting your sig figs (1574 J or 1570 J depending on how much of a sig fig stickler the prof is) or maybe it doesn't want the negative sign. Who knows? I can't stand online homework either.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?