Work with Relation to Velocity

In summary: It's not what you want to know, it's what the problem is asking you to answer. Actually, for this problem, finding the work done by the constant force is part of the answer.
Eeeff

Homework Statement

Help. If

w = F dx
where w is work, f is force and x is displacement, and also
F = k1v2
where force is a quadratic function of velocity v times a constant k1,
what would be work with regards to velocity?

Homework Equations

More info if needed.

v =a dt
a = k2 - k1v2/m

k2 is another constant representing the initial acceleration, and m is the mass of the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have some attempts but I am just clueless.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an idea.F is a funtion of v so W=∫F(v)dx the main purpose should be solve this integral but for that it must be in the same "thing".Like ∫tdt or ∫vdv etc.
Using a = k2 - k1v2/m and some equations you can find it.

Eeeff said:
a = k2 - k1v2/m
I don't see where you got this. If F = ma and F = k1v2, what is a?

There is a very useful formula for when you don't care about the time of the motion:
##a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dv}{dx}=v\frac{dv}{dx}##.

There is also the work-kinetic energy theorem.

kuruman said:
I don't see where you got this. If F = ma and F = k1v2, what is a?
Let me clarify, Fext = k1v2. Fnet = ma = mk2 - Fext.

Eeeff said:
Let me clarify, Fext = k1v2
Fnet = ma = mk2- Fext

Last edited:
Eeeff said:
Let me clarify, Fext = k1v2. Fnet = ma = mk2 - Fnet.
How many forces are there? If there is only one, the net force, i.e. the sum of all the forces, is that one force.

kuruman said:
How many forces are there? If there is only one, the net force, i.e. the sum of all the forces, is that one force.
Sorry for not making this clear. There is forceext1 = k1v2 that is acting against the object and constant forceext2 = mk2 acting on the object.

Eeeff said:
Sorry for not making this clear. There is forceext1 = k1v2 that is acting against the object and constant forceext2 = mk2 acting on the object.
OK. The work done by which force is the question asking you to calculate?

I know you are new to PF, but for future reference, please post the problem exactly as it is given to you. It will avoid misunderstandings and your question will be answered more quickly.

kuruman said:
OK. The work done by which force is the question asking you to calculate?

I know you are new to PF, but for future reference, please post the problem exactly as it is given to you. It will avoid misunderstandings and your question will be answered more quickly.
I wish to know the work done by F ext1. Anyway, why would I want to know the force done by the constant force, when it is just W = Fd.

Eeeff said:
Anyway, why would I want to know the force done by the constant force, when it is just W = Fd.
It's not what you want to know, it's what the problem is asking you to answer. Actually, for this problem, finding the work done by the constant force is part of the answer. You can use the hint provided by haruspex (post#4) or by me (post #5); they are basically the same idea for tackling the problem.

1) What is the relationship between work and velocity?

The relationship between work and velocity is that work is directly proportional to velocity. This means that as velocity increases, the amount of work done also increases.

2) How does velocity affect the amount of work done?

Velocity affects the amount of work done by increasing the force required to move an object, which in turn increases the amount of work done. This is because work is calculated by multiplying force and displacement, and velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion.

3) Can work be done without the presence of velocity?

No, work cannot be done without the presence of velocity. In order for work to be done, there must be a force acting on an object and the object must move in the direction of that force. This movement is represented by velocity.

4) How does the direction of velocity affect the direction of work?

The direction of velocity does not necessarily affect the direction of work. Work is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and not direction. However, the direction of velocity does affect the direction of the force required to do the work.

5) Is there a limit to how much work can be done with a certain velocity?

There is no limit to how much work can be done with a certain velocity. However, there may be limitations due to factors such as friction and the strength of the object being moved. Additionally, as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, the amount of work required to increase its velocity further becomes infinite.