Working out Thevenin Equivalent

In summary: Do the same for current in each loop. Yes, I can do that. I then took the current through loop 1 and multiplied it by the voltage in loop 1 to get the current through loop 2. I then took the current through loop 2 and multiplied it by the voltage in loop 2 to get the current through loop 3. And so on. So the current through all loops is equal to the sum of the currents through each loop multiplied by the voltage in each loop.In summary, using the voltage and current in each loop to calculate the current through all loops results in the Thevenin equivalent resistance being 270Ω.
eddysd

Attachments

• Thevenin.png
    Thevenin.png
    942 bytes · Views: 686
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi eddysd. Can you show your work so far? How did you arrive at Rth = 300Ω ?

I agree w/ gneill. Since the 300 is wrong, you need to show how you got it so we can help you understand where you went wrong.

I used 1/R = 1/R2 + 1/R3 and then added that to R1.

and why are you taking r2 as parallel to r3 ?

why are you NOT taking r1 as parallel to r3 ?

Seems to me like you need to go back and study what parallel and series MEAN.

EDIT: actually, I may be wrong about that. Perhaps what you actually need is to go back and study what a Thevenin equivalent IS. What becomes an open circuit? What becomes a closed circuit? What are the steps you are supposed to follow to GET the equivalent circuit?

Last edited:
I think the idea is that the load is on the right of the Vout and not actually shown in that image judging by the lecturers previous notes, I apologise for not mentioning this in the original post. The lecturer told me that you follow the current round, and when there is a choice of direction, that part of the circuit is parallel, would this not make R3 parallel with R2?

EDIT: Posted this before noticing your edit!

eddysd said:
I used 1/R = 1/R2 + 1/R3 and then added that to R1.

Ah. Remember that you want to find the equivalent resistance when all sources are suppressed and you are "looking into" the network from its output end:

attachment.php?attachmentid=46130&stc=1&d=1334178675.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3 KB · Views: 534
gneill said:
Ah. Remember that you want to find the equivalent resistance when all sources are suppressed and you are "looking into" the network from its output end:

attachment.php?attachmentid=46130&stc=1&d=1334178675.gif

gneill, just as a general note, I ASKED him what becomes open circuit and what becomes closed circuit, so that he would THINK about it.

You TOLD him what the answer is so he doesn't HAVE to think about it.

In general it's more help to someone in the long run if you get them to think, not feed them answers.

OK, so would I add R1 and R2 then take the parallel with R3? Even if I have worked out Rth, since I don't know the current how would I work out Vth?

eddysd said:
I think the idea is that the load is on the right of the Vout and not actually shown in that image judging by the lecturers previous notes, I apologise for not mentioning this in the original post. The lecturer told me that you follow the current round, and when there is a choice of direction, that part of the circuit is parallel, would this not make R3 parallel with R2?

Another way to judge whether two components are in parallel or in series (or neither) is as follows:

Two components are in parallel when they share exactly two nodes.

Two components are in series when they are the only components that share a single node.

gneill said:
Another way to judge whether two components are in parallel or in series (or neither) is as follows:

Two components are in parallel when they share exactly two nodes.

Two components are in series when they are the only components that share a single node.

Thanks, that is a much better way of looking at it than my lecturer's!

So now I have worked out the Thevenin equivalent resistance to be 270Ω, but I still don't know how to work out the equivalent voltage. This isn't actually for coursework or homework, but is revision for an exam, so I would be grateful if anyone could give me a step by step method to work it out.

Hello eddysd. Can you determine the value of Vout in your original circuit?

No, this is what I was trying to do, but can't think of a way without knowing the current

Assume a current I flowing around each closed loop. You know all voltage sources and resistances in the circuit, so you can form some equations.

1. What is Thevenin Equivalent?

Thevenin Equivalent is a circuit model that simplifies a complex circuit into a single voltage source and a single resistance. It is used to analyze and calculate the behavior of a circuit.

2. How is Thevenin Equivalent calculated?

To calculate Thevenin Equivalent, the circuit is first simplified by removing all loads and shorting all voltage sources. Then, the equivalent resistance is calculated by finding the total resistance between the two terminals. Finally, the equivalent voltage is found by applying the voltage divider rule to the original circuit.

3. What is the purpose of finding Thevenin Equivalent?

Thevenin Equivalent is used to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. It is also useful for determining the maximum power transfer to a load and predicting the behavior of a circuit under different conditions.

4. Can Thevenin Equivalent be used for AC circuits?

Yes, Thevenin Equivalent can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, for AC circuits, the equivalent voltage and resistance are represented by complex numbers.

5. What are the limitations of Thevenin Equivalent?

Thevenin Equivalent assumes that the circuit is linear and that all components are passive. It also does not take into account the effects of non-linear components such as diodes and transistors. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the behavior of a circuit under dynamic conditions.