1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working with finite fields of form Z_p

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let p be an odd prime. Then Char(Z_p) is nonzero.

Prove: Not every element of Z_p is the square of some element in Z_p.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I first did this, but i was informed by a peer that it was incorrect because I was treating the congruency as an equality:

Suppose not. Then every element of Z_p is the square of some element in Z_p. Take 1. Since in mod p: 1 = (p-1)2 = 12, it follows that 0 = p2 - 2p, and hence p = 2, a contradiction.

What can i do to find a correct way of proving this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

In a finite field, the group of units is cyclic. This gives you a quick way of proving the result.

4. May 2, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's probably even easier if you simply observe that if i^2=k then (-i)^2=k. But since your first proof is so bogus, you probably really don't understand what Z_p is. Try doing a warmup and figuring out what elements of Z_3, Z_5 and Z_7 are squares and which aren't.

5. May 2, 2012 #4
    Are you allowed to divide by p in Zp?

For example suppose we're in Z5. Now

5 * 2 = 10 = 0 (mod 5)

and 5 * 3 = 15 = 0 (mod 5).

So since 5*2 = 5*3 we conclude that 2 = 3.

What's wrong with that proof?

6. May 2, 2012 #5
    Yes, I suppose that's silly... dividing by p (which is congruent to zero). I have done what dick suggested and discovered that for Z_3, 2 is not a square. For Z_5, neither 2 nor three are squares. I am trying to work off this for now but cant seem to generalize these cases.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. May 2, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I think you got what Z_p means. Now use counting logic. If every element of Z_p were a square then for every element z of Z_p there is an element k such that k^2=z. If 1^2=1 and (-1)^2=(p-1)^2=1 do you have enough elements of Z_p to give each element a square root?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook