Working with finite fields of form Z_p

In summary, p is an odd prime and Char(Z_p) is nonzero. The Attempt at a Solution proved that not every element of Z_p is the square of some element in Z_p. The Counting Logic proved that for every element z of Z_p there is an element k such that k^2=z.
Syrus

Homework Statement

Let p be an odd prime. Then Char(Z_p) is nonzero.

Prove: Not every element of Z_p is the square of some element in Z_p.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first did this, but i was informed by a peer that it was incorrect because I was treating the congruency as an equality:

Suppose not. Then every element of Z_p is the square of some element in Z_p. Take 1. Since in mod p: 1 = (p-1)2 = 12, it follows that 0 = p2 - 2p, and hence p = 2, a contradiction.

What can i do to find a correct way of proving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a finite field, the group of units is cyclic. This gives you a quick way of proving the result.

It's probably even easier if you simply observe that if i^2=k then (-i)^2=k. But since your first proof is so bogus, you probably really don't understand what Z_p is. Try doing a warmup and figuring out what elements of Z_3, Z_5 and Z_7 are squares and which aren't.

Syrus said:
Suppose not. Then every element of Z_p is the square of some element in Z_p. Take 1. Since in mod p: 1 = (p-1)2 = 12, it follows that 0 = p2 - 2p, and hence p = 2, a contradiction.

Are you allowed to divide by p in Zp?

For example suppose we're in Z5. Now

5 * 2 = 10 = 0 (mod 5)

and 5 * 3 = 15 = 0 (mod 5).

So since 5*2 = 5*3 we conclude that 2 = 3.

What's wrong with that proof?

Yes, I suppose that's silly... dividing by p (which is congruent to zero). I have done what dick suggested and discovered that for Z_3, 2 is not a square. For Z_5, neither 2 nor three are squares. I am trying to work off this for now but can't seem to generalize these cases.

Last edited:
Syrus said:
Yes, I suppose that's silly... dividing by p (which is congruent to zero). I have done what dick suggested and discovered that for Z_3, 2 is not a square. For Z_5, neither 2 nor three are squares. I am trying to work off this for now but can't seem to generalize these cases.

Ok, I think you got what Z_p means. Now use counting logic. If every element of Z_p were a square then for every element z of Z_p there is an element k such that k^2=z. If 1^2=1 and (-1)^2=(p-1)^2=1 do you have enough elements of Z_p to give each element a square root?

What are finite fields of form Z_p?

Finite fields of form Z_p are mathematical structures that consist of a finite set of elements, where the operations of addition and multiplication are defined based on a prime number, p. They are also known as Galois fields and are used in various areas of mathematics, including cryptography and coding theory.

What are the basic properties of finite fields of form Z_p?

Finite fields of form Z_p have the following properties:

• They are closed under addition and multiplication.
  • They have a zero element and a one element.
  • The operations of addition and multiplication are commutative and associative.
  • Every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse.
  • The number of elements in a finite field of form Z_p is p, where p is a prime number.

How are finite fields of form Z_p different from real numbers?

Finite fields of form Z_p have a finite number of elements, while real numbers have an infinite number of elements. Additionally, the operations of addition and multiplication in finite fields of form Z_p follow different rules than in real numbers. For example, in finite fields of form Z_p, addition and multiplication are done modulo p, while in real numbers, there is no such restriction.

What are some applications of working with finite fields of form Z_p?

Finite fields of form Z_p have many applications, including:

• Cryptography: Finite fields of form Z_p are used in cryptography to create secure encryption algorithms.
  • Coding theory: Finite fields of form Z_p are used in error-correcting codes, which are used in data transmission and storage.
  • Number theory: Finite fields of form Z_p have connections to number theory, specifically in the study of prime numbers and their properties.
  • Computer science: Finite fields of form Z_p are used in various algorithms and data structures in computer science.

How can I perform operations in finite fields of form Z_p?

To perform operations in finite fields of form Z_p, you can use modular arithmetic. This involves taking the result of the operation modulo p, where p is the prime number that defines the finite field. For example, to add two elements in a finite field of form Z_p, you would add them as usual and then take the result modulo p. Similarly, to multiply two elements, you would multiply them as usual and then take the result modulo p.