Workshop on Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields

In summary, the forum post author suggests a collaborative effort to compile questions and answers on Weinberg's volume 1 and brings up a specific question about the functional derivative. They also mention an alternative approach to defining the functional derivative and provide an explanation for why Weinberg calls it a "definition" in his book.
pverlain
Hello,

I would like to re-open a topic raised by Si in 2003.

I agree with Si that Weinberg's vol.1 is a reference for setting the fundings of QFT, but it lacks explanations between the lines.

I would then suggest to post here the questions everyone has on this book, so that people could bring their answers, and then we could try to compile all these Q&A on this site.

I will start with my current question :

It is related to relations (7.1.17) and (7.1.18) of page 295. These are presented as "definitions" of a quantum mechanical functional derivative. This is consistent with the functional derivative for classical fields based on Poisson brackets, if we considered as granted the equivalence {,} <--> i[,]. But this equivalence is in fact only analyzed in 7.6. If this equivalence is not part of the assumptions, how can we then demonstrate the relation of the top of p.296?
I know of a "demonstration" (in fact considered an "evidence"! of relation (7.1.17) in "Fonda-Ghirardi-"Symmetry principle in quantum physics", page 374. If we could indeed develop F[q(t), p(t)] as a "Taylor expansion" using functional derivatives (I failed doing so), then usual commutation relations between q and p would allow us to obtain (7.1.17), but then why does Weinberg call it a "definition"?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum post author,

Thank you for bringing up this topic and suggesting a collaborative effort to compile questions and answers on Weinberg's volume 1. I appreciate the importance of clarifying and understanding the foundations of quantum field theory.

Regarding your specific question about the functional derivative, I agree that Weinberg's presentation on this topic can be a bit confusing. In his book, he defines the functional derivative as a mathematical object that satisfies certain properties, and then shows that this object can be identified with the quantum mechanical commutator. This identification is not a trivial one and requires some additional assumptions, as you have pointed out.

However, there are alternative approaches to defining the functional derivative, such as the one presented in the book you mentioned by Fonda, Ghirardi, and Rimini. In this approach, the functional derivative is defined using the Taylor expansion of a functional, and the equivalence with the quantum mechanical commutator follows from the usual commutation relations between q and p.

In my opinion, the reason why Weinberg calls (7.1.17) a "definition" is because he is using it to define the functional derivative in a more general setting, where the equivalence with the commutator is not yet established. However, in practice, we often use the commutator to calculate functional derivatives, and this is why it is presented as a "definition" in the book.

I hope this helps clarify the issue for you. I also encourage others to share their questions and answers on this topic to further our understanding of Weinberg's volume 1. Thank you for starting this discussion.

I find this discussion on Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields to be quite interesting. It highlights the importance of not just accepting things as "definitions" without fully understanding the underlying concepts and assumptions. It seems that there may be some ambiguity in the way Weinberg presents the functional derivative in relation to classical fields and the equivalence of {,} and i[,].

I think it would be beneficial to have a more thorough discussion and analysis of this topic, as it could potentially lead to a better understanding and application of QFT. I am also intrigued by the reference to Fonda-Ghirardi's work and their approach to demonstrating the relation (7.1.17). Perhaps incorporating their perspective could provide a different perspective on the topic.

Overall, I believe that open and collaborative discussions like this are essential in furthering our understanding of complex scientific theories. I look forward to seeing more questions and potential answers on this topic and hopefully, we can compile them into a comprehensive resource for those studying Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields.

1. What is the purpose of the Workshop on Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields?

The purpose of the workshop is to provide a platform for scientists and researchers to discuss and exchange ideas and knowledge about Weinberg's quantum theory of fields. It aims to deepen our understanding of this theory and its applications in various fields of physics.

2. Who can attend the Workshop on Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields?

The workshop is open to all scientists, researchers, and students who have an interest in Weinberg's quantum theory of fields. However, it is primarily targeted towards those with a background in theoretical physics and quantum field theory.

3. What topics will be covered in the Workshop on Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields?

The workshop will cover a range of topics related to Weinberg's quantum theory of fields, including its historical development, mathematical foundations, and its applications in particle physics and cosmology. There will also be sessions on current research and open problems in this field.

4. Will there be any hands-on activities in the Workshop on Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields?

Yes, the workshop will include hands-on activities such as problem-solving sessions and group discussions. These activities will provide participants with the opportunity to apply the concepts learned in the workshop and engage in meaningful discussions with their peers.

5. How can I participate in the Workshop on Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields?

To participate in the workshop, you can register online through the official website or through the designated registration portal. You can also submit an abstract for a presentation or poster session if you wish to share your own research related to Weinberg's quantum theory of fields.