Which teams will face off in the World Cup 2006 group stage?

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary, the groups are as follows: C F E B G H A D. England is the favorite to win the group, but the other teams are no pushovers.
Anttech said:
LOL your opion is the opposite of MOST football pundits... If it is so over estimated why on Earth is it the most watched in the World?

LOL-LOL.:wink: Where did you get that from? I would clearly say most football pudits think Seria A and La Liga still are better.
It is just because it is the most watched league many fool themselves to think it is the best.
(Although I'm sure it has the potential of being the best in a near future, it has really shaped up the last ten years.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Anttech said:
There is proof that the EPL is the best in Europe at least.. They are top of the UEFA coefficients for the past two years because there teams have got the most points in the UEFA and Champions League!

Yes, the top teams I would say are rather close to the top teams of Serie A and La Liga. However, the rest of them holds a much lower class than corresponding teams in Italy and Spain.

LOL-LOL. Where did you get that from? I would clearly say most football pudits think Seria A and La Liga still are better.
It is just because it is the most watched league many fool themselves to think it is the best.

What exactly makes you the definitive word on football?

The Seria A and Liga are good.. But the EPL isn't "overestimated"

Yes, the top teams I would say are rather close to the top teams of Serie A and La Liga. However, the rest of them holds a much lower class than corresponding teams in Italy and Spain.
?

This is in contradiction to the facts: Go look at the EPL table.. there is not a Massive divide in points between the top half and bottom half.. Cheslea are streets ahead ill admit that.. But what you are saying is againt the FACTS... The teams taking these points in the UEFA and ChampsL are battling it out with other teams in the EPL and not always winning!

Do you even follow the EPL? It seems to me you dont!

Anttech said:
What exactly makes you the definitive word on football?
Come on, this is just my opinions.

The Seria A and Liga are good.. But the EPL isn't "overestimated"
By saying EPL is the best league, I would definitely say that is "overestimating". I have never said EPL is bad, just that Seria A and La Liga are better.

Do you even follow the EPL? It seems to me you dont!
No, actually I'm just making all this up...

No, actually I'm just making all this up...

hehe.. it shows

By saying EPL is the best league, I would definitely say that is "overestimating". I have never said EPL is bad, just that Seria A and La Liga are better.
I don't see any English people saying it is the best... The ratings are doing that

Anttech said:
I don't see any English people saying it is the best... The ratings are doing that

Well doesn't the rating in that case also say the Romanian league is better than the Spanish...
I've heard there are three kind of lies: Lie, Cursed lie, and Statistics.:tongue2:

Well doesn't the rating also say the Romanian league is better than the Spanish...
I've heard there are three kind of lies: Lie, Cursed lie, and Statistics.

Look just because u have England in your group.. and you won't go through, doesn't mean you can be a sour puss and start making up things

Anttech said:
Look just because u have England in your group.. and you won't go through, doesn't mean you can be a sour puss and start making up things

Uhum, wait now, you aren't angry at me for real, are you? I mean "sour puss", I just don't get it if you're just friendly teasing me or if you take this too serious...?

About the statistics: What does Rom on third place in the coeff mean?

Last edited:
Uhum, wait now, you aren't angry at me for real, are you? I mean "sour puss", I just don't get it if you're just friendly teasing me or if you take this too serious...?

No I am not angry with you for real...

Anttech said:
No I am not angry with you for real...

Nice to hear that.:cool:
So could you tell me what this coeff means in the table?

yes.. It is because the accumulative points that Rom. teams made last year was more than Spainsh teams made... Dinamo Bucuresti did ok for a start

Ok, so then the Romanian league must have been better than La Liga at least last season...:wink:

Btw
Anttech said:
Making up what?
And at least we have a team there... :tongue2:

Ok, so then the Romanian league must have been better than La Liga at least last season..
well yeh.. but if you look historically at the stats u will see this is a one off.. We should probably use the median rule here :-)
Making up what?
And at least we have a team there.

I'm not belgium :-) but anyway.. My team didnt make it either.. but to give you a hint.. we WON the Euro champs! :-)

Last edited:
Ah that's why you said:
they are not Greece
:cool:

Lisa! said:
Better to say they're sent home. Remember in 2002, it was the referee who didn't let Spain to win against Korea!:grumpy:

Actually Lisa, the referee were fair and square upon both teams. The korean team stopped as the referee ordered and it was THEN spain 'scored'. It was spains fault not relising thast their goal was not valid (and their fans and the team are moaning about it. Tough)

Origionally posted by EL
So Robinson and Gary Neville are world class but not Ballack? Kidding right?
When did i say that Robinson and Gary Neville where world class? I merely said that they where top players.
Origioanlly posted by EL
I watch rahter much premier league, and I have to say Robinson is quite succeful there. The problem is that premier league does not hold the high standard of Serie A or La Liga! I would even hold Bundesliga as better. Sure there is one top world class team, Chelsea, but the others more or less sux compared to middle teams in the other leagues (and I'm saying this as a ManU fan). Ok, Liverpool won CL last season, but I think we all can agree they had some luck on their way.
This is why I think you English's always overestimate your team, it's because you always overestimate your league.
Even if the english teams where of a lower quality than the spanish or italian leagues a football and a goal are of universal size so as long as he can stop a goal in one leage what's to stop him doing it in another league?
Origionally posted by EL
I ment players with his style in general: technical, speedy and creative.
Ibrahimovic i don't think much of never seen him consistently perform.
You'll be suprised when he defeats you this summer!
No player has ever had the style of Ronaldinho, his Skill levels are better than any player i have ever watched and he is almost as fast as any player aswell. And when running with the ball i don't think i have ever seen anyone with the ability to dribble at the speed he does. He's the reason why i think Brazil will win the world cup.
oh, and Owen will be the player that scores the winning goal against sweden to secure top spot in the group for us.

Andy said:
and Owen will be the player that scores the winning goal against sweden to secure top spot in the group for us.
No no, you know how it ends between us, at the best you get a draw...:wink:

Yea, probably. Does anders svensson still make it into the swedish squad?

Andy said:
Yea, probably. Does anders svensson still make it into the swedish squad?

Well, it's a battle between him and Kim Kallstrom (in Rennes) about the offensive central midfield position.
An other oldie, Alexandersson, is still hanging around too, though he probably won't make the starting eleven (as a wing midfielder).

Last edited:
Kallstrom is pretty good. They used to show U-21 international matches on TV a while back, and I thought that he played very well. Glad to see that he may get a chance in the world cup.

Who's your first choice keeper? Andreas Isaksson or Magnus Hedman?

Last edited:
Bladibla said:
Actually Lisa, the referee were fair and square upon both teams. The korean team stopped as the referee ordered and it was THEN spain 'scored'. It was spains fault not relising thast their goal was not valid (and their fans and the team are moaning about it. Tough)
Yeah, I remember, but you know the referee had no reason to stop the match at that scene. and it wasn'this only mistake.(he took 2 other opportunites from Spain and that's not why I say. I'm quoting an expert in fact!) But anyway let's forget all about it. It wasn't such a big deal for me even 4 years ago! :smile:

I guess Brazil, England, Germany, Italy will enter the semifinal.

siddharth said:
Kallstrom is pretty good. They used to show U-21 international matches on TV a while back, and I thought that he played very well. Glad to see that he may get a chance in the world cup.
My guess would be that Anders Svensson will be starter, but if he won't do good enough Kallstrom will get his chance. Most people think both of them should play at the same time, with Kallstrom at the defensive midfield position (Sweden plays with this diamond midfield). However, Lagerback (coach) sticks to Linderoth in this position, which I think he does totally correctly...Linderoth rules!

Who's your first choice keeper? Andreas Isaksson or Magnus Hedman?
Definitely Isaksson. His like number one, two and three. Magnus Hedman quit playing earlier this year, and now working as a trainer in the U-21 national team. Anyway, Isaksson has been number one for several years now, and with all right.

Last edited:
I guess Brazil get the cup again!

Lisa! said:
I guess Brazil get the cup again!

i hope i am dead before that day :/, i hope they don't win ..

Maybe US will win worldcup?
But unlikely, US people prefer basketball which i feel dull!

Do you gamble for soccer? Millions dollars were bet for the matches.

Anttech said:
Italy and especially German don't have a chance! I would rate any of the look outs before German.. Italy are ok.. but not as strong as Netherlands England or even Croatia..

Guess the outcome of this world cup was hard to predict for the experts...:wink:

Anyone still doubting Italy had a great teamplay?