Wormholes for Dummies: Calculating Distance

• Thread starter 19061988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wormholes
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wormholes and their relationship to the curvature of space-time. The speaker wonders if the curve of space-time is like half of a perfect circle, and if the distance between two points connected by a wormhole can be calculated by multiplying the distance by 2 and dividing by pi. However, the expert explains that the distance of a wormhole depends on the characteristics of the wormhole itself, and can vary from zero to a much greater distance.
I want to know, seeing as space-time is supposed to be curved and a wormhole bisects that curve, whether the curve is like half of a perfect circle. So for example, if there was a wormhole between the sun and alpha centauri, and the distance between them is about 4.3 light years, could you figure out the wormhole distance by multiplying 4.3 by 2, and then dividing the total by pi? Or is the space-time curve more variable, like half of an ellipse?

As you can probably tell, I'm not a scientist. I just want to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer; but, my guess is that the two ends of the wormhole are like the poles of a bar magnet and the "space-time curvature" would be like the magnetic flux lines. Then, the curvature would be "circular" when the distance between the two ends is VERY short compared to the circumference of the circle, i.e., the wormhole is a point on the circle.

19061988 said:
I want to know, seeing as space-time is supposed to be curved and a wormhole bisects that curve, whether the curve is like half of a perfect circle. So for example, if there was a wormhole between the sun and alpha centauri, and the distance between them is about 4.3 light years, could you figure out the wormhole distance by multiplying 4.3 by 2, and then dividing the total by pi? Or is the space-time curve more variable, like half of an ellipse?

As you can probably tell, I'm not a scientist. I just want to know.

You seems to be laboring under a total misconception of the way that wormholes work. Imagine a doorway connecting San Francisco and Paris. When you enter the doorway, you travel through a hallway, and eventually emerge in a different city. The length of the hallway -- what I think you're calling the "wormhole distance"-- depends on the characteristics of the wormhole. For some wormholes the distance is zero -- i.e you travel from San Francisco to Paris in one step. Or the distance could be 10 feet, or 10 miles, or 100 miles, or even a million miles (in which case the wormhole is not a shortcut). It all depends on the distributions of negative-energy matter and positive-energy matter in the wormhole.

Source: The Physics of Stargates -- Parallel Universes, Time Travel, and the Enigma of Wormhole Physics, by Enrico Rodrigo (2010)

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure that connects two distant points in space-time, allowing for faster-than-light travel.

2. How are wormholes formed?

Wormholes are formed through the bending of space-time by extremely powerful gravitational forces, such as those found in black holes.

3. Can wormholes really be used for time travel?

While the concept of using a wormhole for time travel is popular in science fiction, there is currently no scientific evidence to support its feasibility.

4. How do we calculate the distance of a wormhole?

The distance of a wormhole can be calculated using equations from Einstein's theory of general relativity, taking into account the mass and energy of the objects creating the wormhole.

5. Are wormholes stable enough for travel?

The stability of a wormhole is highly debated among scientists, as the intense gravitational forces involved could potentially tear it apart. Further research and advancements in technology are needed to determine the feasibility of using wormholes for travel.