What Properties Does Matter Need to Create Wormholes?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of wormholes as the only method of interstellar travel in a sci-fi novel. The properties of matter needed to create a wormhole and the potential limitations and possibilities of using it were discussed. It was suggested to introduce a fictional element, like unobtainium, to avoid technical explanations and focus on the story. Some useful links were also shared for further information.
Vacuity
I'm writing a sci-fi novel ("You don't say?") and I've decided that the only method of interstellar travel that will exist is wormholes. I've debated a warp drive that doesn't reach the speed of light, but I'll save that for another time. Basically, I need to know what properties matter would need to create a wormhole. The idea of the wormhole will be that by shortening the distance between star systems, you can travel interstellarly (real word?) without having to reach the speed of light. I'm new to theoretical physics, but I'm very much fascinated by it.

Other than how the matter would be used to create the wormhole, I want to know what more basic properties it would have, as in, what would it look like? What would happen if you were to apply force to it? Is there any way it could be contained or manufactured?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since actual science is not going to suit your needs, you should just make up the existence of some form of unobtainium that creates wormholes and spend as little time as possible talking about HOW it works and just make it a given in the story. Readers of SciFic are supposed to give the author one "I'll ignore that this would not actually work in the real world as we know it" and this will be the one for your story.

Related to What Properties Does Matter Need to Create Wormholes?

1. What is matter used to create wormholes?

Matter used to create wormholes is any form of mass or energy that can be manipulated to bend the fabric of space-time. This includes exotic matter, negative energy, or intense gravitational forces.

2. How is matter used to create wormholes?

Matter is used to create wormholes through the process of warping space-time. This can be achieved through immense amounts of energy or by utilizing exotic matter with negative energy. The matter is manipulated in a way that creates a tunnel through space-time, allowing for travel between two distant points.

3. Can any type of matter be used to create wormholes?

No, not all types of matter can be used to create wormholes. The matter must have the ability to bend space-time in a specific way. This is usually achieved through the use of exotic matter, which has negative energy properties.

4. Are there any potential risks or consequences of using matter to create wormholes?

There are potential risks and consequences associated with creating and using wormholes. These include the potential for time travel and disruptions to the fabric of space-time. Additionally, the intense energy and forces involved in creating wormholes could have negative effects on the surrounding environment.

5. How does matter used to create wormholes differ from regular matter?

Matter used to create wormholes differs from regular matter in that it has unique properties that allow for the manipulation of space-time. Regular matter follows the laws of physics and does not possess the necessary properties to create a wormhole. Exotic matter, on the other hand, has negative energy and anti-gravity properties that make it suitable for creating wormholes.