Would a HEMP event cause the northern lights?

In summary, a HEMP is an event from a cascade of electrons, and a solar flare is one cause/source of a burst of charged particles from the sun. A HEMP is most likely to occur near one of the geomagnetic poles, and produce the Northern Lights.
thisisweak
Hello, I looked everywhere and elsewhere for an answer to this. And I can't seem to find an answer. If a High-altitude Electromagnetic Pulse was detonated, Would this set off the Northern Lights?

While a solar flair is due to a stream of electrons and ions(I hope that I got that correct). A HEMP is an event from a cascade of electrons. Not sure what they mean by cascade there.

Anyway from what I have read, the Northern lights occur with collisions with oxygen molecules about 60 miles (or about 96 km as I am sure you prefer). It just seems both events have enough in common to produce some of the same effect.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
thisisweak said:
While a solar flair is due to a stream of electrons and ions(I hope that I got that correct).
not quite ... a solar flare is one cause/source of a burst of charged particles from the sun ... see my comments in your other thread on this topic. A stream of charged particles do not cause a flare.

thisisweak said:
If a High-altitude Electromagnetic Pulse was detonated, Would this set off the Northern Lights?

thisisweak said:
A HEMP is an event from a cascade of electrons. Not sure what they mean by cascade there.
Not really familiar with that topic ... maybe a really good idea to give some links to what you have been reading so that we can all be on the same page.
Jf there are a burst of electrons from a HEMP event, then the HEMP would have to be ...
1) Very high altitude to be able to push those electrons into the Earth's magnetic field
2) probably close to one of the geomagnetic poles so that the electrons would have the best chance of getting trapped in the magnetic field so as to produce an auroral event
Dave

Likes darrelldad
Yes. Following a high altitude detonation, the electrons that are knocked loose in the ionosphere due to the Compton effect, and which cause the EMP, can then travel long distances while spiraling around the Earth's magnetic field lines. Where the lines dip down into the atmosphere to re-enter the earth’s crust, the energetic electrons ionize nitrogen and oxygen atoms in the tenuous atmosphere, causing an aurora. This occurs both to the north of the detonation (if in the northern hemisphere) and, later, at the opposing spot in the southern hemisphere. Wikipedia has a nice explanation of the phenomenology under the second section heading here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fishbowl

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Thank you! Great explanation.

By the way, with help from your link I found some declassified video of the event(s). It does indeed create a fishbowl. Personally, I think a better description would be to classify it as a dome. This video shows many of the high atmospheric explosion tests performed by the United States. I really recommend watching them since they are really different from land or sea based tests.

1. What is a HEMP event?

A HEMP (High Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse) event is a burst of electromagnetic energy that occurs when a nuclear weapon is detonated in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. Can a HEMP event cause the northern lights?

Yes, a HEMP event can cause the northern lights, also known as the aurora borealis. This is because the burst of electromagnetic energy from the event can disrupt the Earth's magnetic field and cause charged particles to enter the atmosphere, creating the colorful light display of the northern lights.

3. How strong does a HEMP event need to be to cause the northern lights?

The strength of a HEMP event needed to cause the northern lights depends on various factors such as the location of the detonation, the altitude of the burst, and the strength of the Earth's magnetic field at the time. Generally, a HEMP event with a yield of 10 kilotons or more is considered strong enough to cause the northern lights.

4. How often do HEMP events occur?

HEMP events are not a common occurrence and are typically caused by a nuclear weapon detonation. However, they can also be caused by natural events such as solar flares. The frequency of HEMP events is difficult to determine, but it is estimated that they occur once every few years.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with a HEMP event causing the northern lights?

While the northern lights themselves do not pose any direct risks, a HEMP event that causes them can have significant impacts on technology and infrastructure. The burst of electromagnetic energy can damage or disrupt electronic devices, power grids, and communication systems. It is important for countries to have measures in place to protect against the effects of a HEMP event.