Would non magnetic matters be affected by magnetism?

In summary, the Earth's magnetic field is caused by rotation and more specifically the churning of the Earth's molten iron core. Scientists are still trying to figure out how this happens, but until we can replicate it in the lab, we can't really say for certain that it's possible.
alchemist
would non magnetic matters be affected by magnetism? and why? and why do the Earth have a natural magnetic field??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the Earth's magnetic field is generated by its spin around its axis...

The Earth's magnetic field is caused by rotation and more specifically the churning of the Earth's molten iron core.

Why is that? Well, I'm not totally sure but I believe the churning molten core causes currents to be induced and currents cause electromagnetism?

Yes, normally non-magnetic things are not affected by magnetism. However, if you put an enormous magnetic field through something, say a spider, a cherry or anything it will be affected. In fact, I saw on the Discovery channel a facility in Japan was able to levitate a spider with extreme amounts of electromagnetism.

Matt Jacques said:
Why is that? Well, I'm not totally sure but I believe the churning molten core causes currents to be induced and currents cause electromagnetism?
I have learned in my short science career that when it comes to electromagnetism, this explanation will make you sound smart even when you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

meister said:
I have learned in my short science career that when it comes to electromagnetism, this explanation will make you sound smart even when you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

How rude! That's why I said I am not sure and ended my sentence with a question mark! I'm eager to hear your explanation from your distinguished science career.

Last edited:
Matt Jacques said:
The Earth's magnetic field is caused by rotation and more specifically the churning of the Earth's molten iron core.

This is an ongoing topic of research for geologists. There was a Topic in Earth Sciences about the research being done, mostly the work of http://complex.umd.edu/dynamo/index.html , who is trying to reproduce the effect in the lab. So far, no-one has been able to succesfully recreate a self-generating magnetic field from an homogenous dynamo. So the rotating of the core and convection currents in the mantle are probably generating the field, but until we can make it happen in the lab, we can't really say for certain that it's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does magnetism affect non-magnetic materials?

Magnetism has no effect on non-magnetic materials since they do not contain magnetic domains, which are necessary for a material to be attracted to a magnet.

2. Can non-magnetic materials become magnetized by exposure to a magnetic field?

No, non-magnetic materials cannot become magnetized by exposure to a magnetic field. Only materials with magnetic domains can be magnetized.

3. Why do some materials, like iron, respond to magnetism while others do not?

Materials that respond to magnetism have magnetic domains, which are tiny regions where the atoms are aligned in the same direction. This alignment allows the material to be attracted to a magnet. Non-magnetic materials do not have magnetic domains, so they are not affected by magnetism.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that non-magnetic materials are not affected by magnetism?

Some non-magnetic materials, such as copper and aluminum, can be affected by a magnetic field in certain circumstances. When these materials are exposed to a very strong magnetic field, they can experience a small amount of magnetism, but it is typically temporary and weak.

5. Is there any benefit to using non-magnetic materials in magnetically sensitive environments?

Yes, non-magnetic materials are often used in environments where strong magnetic fields are present, such as MRI machines. Using non-magnetic materials helps to prevent interference with the magnetic field and ensures accurate readings from the equipment.