Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would non magnetic matters be affected by magnetism?

1. Mar 27, 2004 #1
    would non magnetic matters be affected by magnetism? and why? and why do the earth have a natural magnetic field??
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2004 #2
    I think the Earth's magnetic field is generated by its spin around its axis...
  4. Mar 27, 2004 #3
    The Earth's magnetic field is caused by rotation and more specifically the churning of the Earth's molten iron core.

Why is that? Well, I'm not totally sure but I believe the churning molten core causes currents to be induced and currents cause electromagnetism?

Yes, normally non-magnetic things are not affected by magnetism. However, if you put an enormous magnetic field through something, say a spider, a cherry or anything it will be affected. In fact, I saw on the Discovery channel a facility in Japan was able to levitate a spider with extreme amounts of electromagnetism.
  5. Mar 28, 2004 #4
    I have learned in my short science career that when it comes to electromagnetism, this explanation will make you sound smart even when you don't have a clue what you're talking about.
  6. Mar 28, 2004 #5
    How rude! That's why I said Im not sure and ended my sentence with a question mark! I'm eager to hear your explanation from your distinguished science career.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  7. Mar 28, 2004 #6

Science Advisor

This is an ongoing topic of research for geologists. There was a Topic in Earth Sciences about the research being done, mostly the work of Dr Daniel Lathrop , who is trying to reproduce the effect in the lab. So far, no-one has been able to succesfully recreate a self-generating magnetic field from an homogenous dynamo. So the rotating of the core and convection currents in the mantle are probably generating the field, but untill we can make it happen in the lab, we can't really say for certain that it's possible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?