Would there be any use in a Rydberg equation for Helium

• Thread starter peterchr006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helium
In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's experience in their high school physics class where they learned about the Bohr Derivation and how it related to Helium spectral lines. The speaker took on the challenge of deriving the equations for the spectral lines and also the ionization energy of Helium. They were curious about the usefulness of these equations and if it would be worth trying to publish their findings, despite it being superseded by the Schrodinger wave equation. They also mentioned having written a paper about it, but were unsure of what to do with it.
peterchr006
In high school I took an advanced physics class, in which we learned the Bohr Derivation, after the lesson my teacher then drew a model of Helium then explained that no one however had come up with the equation to represent the spectral lines of Helium, so i had taken on this challenge to see if I could do it, and after about four weeks I had gotten the two equations necessary to explain Helium spectral lines (excluding other effects, l,m, and s) then so happens the day I told him about it in class he taught that the Schrodinger wave equation Superseded the Bohr model of the atom.
I was curious if the equations i derived it would be useful at all.
Also along with the spectral equations, i derived the ionization energy equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then if it is useful, would it be worth to try to make a publication, even though it has been superseded by Schrodinger's model? and if so, how would I go about to make a possible publication?

Also, I have written a paper about it, but it is probably a crude high school level, and I don't know what exactly to do with it.

1. What is the Rydberg equation for Helium and what does it calculate?

The Rydberg equation for Helium is a mathematical formula used to calculate the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by a Helium atom. It is based on the energy levels of the atom and can be used to predict the spectral lines of Helium.

2. How is the Rydberg equation for Helium different from the Rydberg equation for Hydrogen?

The Rydberg equation for Helium is a modified version of the Rydberg equation for Hydrogen, taking into account the differences in the energy levels of the two atoms. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by Helium.

3. Can the Rydberg equation for Helium be applied to other elements?

No, the Rydberg equation for Helium is specific to Helium atoms and cannot be applied to other elements. Each element has its own unique energy levels, so a separate Rydberg equation must be used for each element.

4. How is the Rydberg equation for Helium useful in scientific research?

The Rydberg equation for Helium can be used to analyze the spectral lines of Helium in various environments, such as in stars or in laboratory experiments. This can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of Helium atoms, as well as the conditions in which they exist.

5. Is the Rydberg equation for Helium still relevant in modern scientific research?

Yes, the Rydberg equation for Helium is still widely used in modern scientific research, particularly in the fields of astrophysics and spectroscopy. It is a fundamental tool for analyzing the behavior of Helium atoms and understanding the properties of matter at a microscopic level.