Write (13257)(23)(47512) as a product of disjoint cycles

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cycles Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44

Homework Statement


Write (13257)(23)(47512) as a product of disjoint cycles. Each bracket is a permutation of seven elements written in cycle notation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


This isn't too hard of a problem. One easy way would be to evaluate the entire product, and then write that product in cycle notation. However, is there an easier, faster way of doing this, just be looking at the expression (13257)(23)(47512) directly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not that I know of. And ##2## occurs in all three cycles, so any possible "rule" is likely more complicated than simply multiply them.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mr Davis 97
Also, one quick related question. I need to calculate the order of (125)(34). Is there a quick way to do this, or do I have to literally keep composing the permutation with itself until I get the identity permutation?
 
If they are disjoint, they commute. So ##(ab)^n=a^nb^n## and the order is the least common multiple of both orders. And a cycle of length ##n## is of order ##n##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mr Davis 97