1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write (13257)(23)(47512) as a product of disjoint cycles

1. Feb 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write (13257)(23)(47512) as a product of disjoint cycles. Each bracket is a permutation of seven elements written in cycle notation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This isn't too hard of a problem. One easy way would be to evaluate the entire product, and then write that product in cycle notation. However, is there an easier, faster way of doing this, just be looking at the expression (13257)(23)(47512) directly?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Not that I know of. And ##2## occurs in all three cycles, so any possible "rule" is likely more complicated than simply multiply them.

4. Feb 15, 2017 #3
    Also, one quick related question. I need to calculate the order of (125)(34). Is there a quick way to do this, or do I have to literally keep composing the permutation with itself until I get the identity permutation?

5. Feb 15, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If they are disjoint, they commute. So ##(ab)^n=a^nb^n## and the order is the least common multiple of both orders. And a cycle of length ##n## is of order ##n##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted