Write Maths in Forum: LaTeX Guide

In summary, to write equations using LaTeX in a forum post, enclose the equation within two dollar signs ($). You can include symbols and special characters using backslash (\) followed by the name of the symbol. To write fractions, use the \frac command and for exponents, use the carrot (^) symbol. Equations can be aligned using the align environment and ampersand (&). It is necessary to enclose LaTeX equations within two dollar signs ($) for them to be properly rendered in the forum post.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I suggest relabelling the "LaTeX guide" link, which is just below the reply box in threads. I think people who don't know LaTeX already don't necessarily recognise that this tells them how to write maths in the forum. Perhaps "How to write maths in the forum"?

Also, the guide isn't linked at all from the "Post thread" page.

Likes DrClaude, davenn, m4r35n357 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
Also, the guide isn't linked at all from the "Post thread" page.
indeed, which doesn't do anything to help those that want to use it
Personally ... I'm just maths dumb and cannot figure it out anyway haha

Related to Write Maths in Forum: LaTeX Guide

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for writing mathematical and scientific documents. It allows for precise and professional formatting of equations and symbols.

2. How do I write mathematical expressions in LaTeX?

To write mathematical expressions in LaTeX, you need to use special commands and symbols. For example, use \frac{numerator}{denominator} to create a fraction or \sqrt{number} to insert a square root symbol.

3. Can I use LaTeX in online forums?

Yes, many online forums support the use of LaTeX for writing mathematical expressions. It is often denoted by enclosing the expression in dollar signs, such as $x^2+y^2=1$.

4. Are there any resources for learning LaTeX?

Yes, there are various online tutorials and guides available for learning LaTeX. Some popular resources include Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and the official LaTeX documentation.

5. Is LaTeX only for writing math equations?

No, while LaTeX is commonly used for writing mathematical expressions, it can also be used for typesetting other documents such as essays, reports, and presentations. It offers a wide range of formatting options for text, figures, and tables.