Writing a proof the correct way

If you look at the definition of ##K##, any element of ##K## can be written in that form, so this is really just applying the definition.In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if two elements, x1 and x2, are in a set K defined as {s+t√2:s,t\inQ}, then their sum, x1+x2, is also in K. The student initially suggests that this is a simple application of algebraic properties, but is reminded to provide more detail and explicitly state that K is a set of rational numbers.
grjmmr

Homework Statement

k:= {s+t√2:s,t[itex]\in[/itex]Q}, if x1 and x2 [itex]\in[/itex] K, prove x1 +x2[itex]\in[/itex]K

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought is that x1 and x2 [itex]\in[/itex]K[itex]\in[/itex]Q[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R thus by algerbraic properties X1+x2 =X3 which also [itex]\in[/itex] K. this seems just a little too easy, am i correct in my line of thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
grjmmr said:

Homework Statement

k:= {s+t√2:s,t[itex]\in[/itex]Q}, if x1 and x2 [itex]\in[/itex] K, prove x1 +x2[itex]\in[/itex]K

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought is that x1 and x2 [itex]\in[/itex]K[itex]\in[/itex]Q[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R thus by algerbraic properties X1+x2 =X3 which also [itex]\in[/itex] K. this seems just a little too easy, am i correct in my line of thinking?

You need more detail. What you have to show is that ##x_1+x_2## can be written in the form ##s+t\sqrt 2## where ##s,t\in Q##, where I presume ##Q## is the rationals, although you never specifically said that.

1. What is the purpose of writing a proof in a specific way?

The purpose of writing a proof in a specific way is to clearly and logically demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. By following a specific structure and using precise language, a proof helps to convince others that the statement is true.

2. What is the general structure of a proof?

The general structure of a proof includes an introduction, the statement to be proven, a list of given information, a series of logical steps or deductions, and a conclusion. It is important to clearly label each step and explain the reasoning behind it.

3. How do I determine which logical steps to take in a proof?

When writing a proof, start by carefully reading the given information and identifying any relevant theorems or definitions. Then, determine the most logical and straightforward way to use this information to reach the desired conclusion. It may also be helpful to work backwards from the conclusion to see what steps are necessary to get there.

4. Can I use diagrams or visual aids in a proof?

Yes, diagrams and visual aids can be helpful in clarifying the steps of a proof. However, they should always be accompanied by clear explanations and logical reasoning. It is important to ensure that any diagrams accurately represent the given information and do not contain any extraneous information.

5. How can I check if my proof is correct?

To check if your proof is correct, you can try working through it again in a different way or with different assumptions. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your proof and provide feedback. Additionally, double-checking your steps and ensuring they are clearly labeled and explained can help catch any errors.