X ~ Bin(3,p) show that E(X) = 3p

• Thread starter adamwitt
  • Start date
In summary, given X ~ Bin(3,p), the expected value of X is 3p. This can be calculated using the formula E(X) = (0)p + (1)p + (2)p + (3)p = 6p, where p is the probability of success.
adamwitt
X ~ Bin(3,p) ... show that E(X) = 3p

Homework Statement

Given X ~ Bin(3,p) ... show that E(X) = 3p

Homework Equations

Unsure. Possibly...

P(k) = [n! / (k!*(n-k)!)] * (p^k) * (1-p)^(n-k)

E(X) = Expected value of X = Sum[(Probability of X)*(X)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a whole heap of scribble on my paper but none of it is worth typing up because I have no idea how to show this, although it seems like something incredibly simple. I think I am missing something, like a property of Binary distributions or something that could allow me to work out the answer...arghhh

Physics news on Phys.org

Yeah that is the right definition for expectation

Well I did that and I end up getting E(X) = 6p ?

E(X) = (0)p + (1)p + (2)p + (3)p = 6p

I know I am doing something dumb here, but i can't work out what!

For the binomial!

[tex]P(X=x)\ne p[/tex]

What's the [tex] P(X=x) ? [/tex]

1. What is the formula for calculating the expected value of "X ~ Bin(3,p)"?

The formula for calculating the expected value of a binomial distribution is E(X) = n * p, where n is the number of trials and p is the probability of success.

2. How is the expected value related to the parameters of "X ~ Bin(3,p)"?

The expected value of "X ~ Bin(3,p)" is equal to 3 times the probability of success, p. This means that the expected value increases as the probability of success increases.

3. Can the expected value of "X ~ Bin(3,p)" be greater than 3?

Yes, the expected value can be greater than 3 if the probability of success, p, is greater than 1/3. This indicates that the outcome of each trial is more likely to be a success.

4. How does increasing the number of trials affect the expected value of "X ~ Bin(3,p)"?

The expected value of "X ~ Bin(3,p)" increases as the number of trials, n, increases. This is because with more trials, the chances of having successful outcomes increases, resulting in a higher expected value.

5. How can the expected value of "X ~ Bin(3,p)" be used in practical applications?

The expected value can be used to predict the average number of successes in a given number of trials, making it useful in applications such as marketing, quality control, and risk assessment.