X-ray Tube Output: 80μGy/mAs at 1m, 900µGy/s @1m

In summary, the X-ray unit in the cardiac catheter labs has an output of 80µGy/mAs at 1 meter when set at 100 kVp with 0.3mm Cu added to the beam. The photon intensity is reduced to a quarter and varies with kV to the power of 3. For a continuous beam at 80 kVp and 5 mA, the output rate at 80 cm from the tube focus would be 80 μG/mAs. For an acquisition run using the same unit, with a protocol of 15 frames per second, 10ms pulse width, and a 20 x 20cm square field at 100kV without copper filtration, and a detector
BobP

Homework Statement

(The question is in the image attached)

(c) An X-ray unit in the cardiac catheter labs has an output of 80µGy/mAs at 1 meter when the unit is set at 100 kVp. After adding 0.3mm Cu to the beam the photon intensity is reduced to a quarter and tends to vary in proportion to kV3 (i.e. kV to the power of 3). What would be the output rate at 80cm from the tube focus for a
continuous beam at 80 kV p and 5 mA ?
(d) The same unit as in c) is now used for an acquisition run. The protocol uses 15 frames per second with a 10ms pulse width at 100kV without the copper filtration and a 20 x 20cm square field. The detector distance is 1m from the tube. If the measured output rate at 1m is 900 µGy/s what is the peak tube current of each pulse? What DAP reading in cGycm2 would be measured in 10 seconds of acquisition?

Homework Equations

none relevant

The Attempt at a Solution

Please can someone confirm if my answers are correct
(c) 80 μG/mAs
(Working: 20 * (1/0.8)2 * (80/100)3 * 5)

(d)
Current = 750 mA
DAP reading = 360 cGycm2

Thank you

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 430
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
first part looks good.

Second part in order to achieve an output of 900uG/sec when the output is 80yGy/mas you need how many ma on average for continuous operation to achieve that output? Since the the tube operates only a fraction of the time (duty cycle is what?) the current must be higher than the average right?

gleem said:
first part looks good.

Second part in order to achieve an output of 900uG/sec when the output is 80uGy/mAs you need how many mA on average for continuous operation to achieve that output? Since the the tube operates only a fraction of the time (duty cycle is what?) the current must be higher than the average right?

If I have 900 uGy/sec when I have 80 uGy/mAs and the machine is on for 150ms in total over a 1 second period
Then I have
80 * mA per second = 900
Therfore mA = 11.25 mA

BUT as the current is not always on the actual mA is

mA * 15 * 10 * 10-3 = 11.25 SO
Answer = 75 mA

But for part (ii)
If output is 900 uGy/sec and I run the machine for 10 seconds then I have a dose of 9000 uGy
With an area of 400 cm2 I have a DAP of 9000 uGy * 400 = 3.6 Gy cm^2 = 360 cGycm^2

So I got the mA wrong initially but the DAP correct.
Is my answer now correct?
Thanks

Last edited:
looks good

gleem said:
looks good
Thank you for your help :)

1. What is the significance of the X-ray tube output measurement?

The X-ray tube output measurement indicates the amount of radiation produced by the X-ray tube per unit of time and distance. This measurement is important in ensuring that the patient receives a safe and effective dose of radiation during medical imaging procedures.

2. What does the measurement of 80μGy/mAs at 1m mean?

This measurement indicates the radiation intensity at a distance of 1 meter from the X-ray tube when using a standard exposure setting of 1mAs (milliampere-seconds). It is a common way to measure the output of X-ray tubes and is used to ensure consistency in radiation dosage for patients.

3. How does the X-ray tube output affect image quality?

The X-ray tube output is directly related to the quality of the X-ray image. A higher output results in a brighter and clearer image, while a lower output may result in a darker and less detailed image. It is important for the X-ray technician to adjust the output according to the patient's size and the area being imaged to ensure the best image quality.

4. What is the significance of the unit of measurement used for X-ray tube output?

The unit of measurement for X-ray tube output, Gy (gray), is a measure of absorbed radiation dose. It takes into account the energy of the X-rays and the tissue being exposed. This unit is used to ensure that patients receive a safe and consistent dose of radiation during medical procedures.

5. How does the X-ray tube output affect patient safety?

The X-ray tube output is directly related to the amount of radiation that a patient is exposed to during an X-ray procedure. Too high of an output can result in overexposure and potential harm to the patient's health. Therefore, it is important for X-ray technicians to carefully monitor and adjust the output to ensure patient safety.