Y= -2(x+5)^4 A few things about graphing this ? HELP?

• Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the given equation is a parabola, but it is not a traditional quadratic parabola. To find the x-intercept, you need to solve for x when y=0. This can be done by plugging in y=0 into the equation and solving for x. The graph will appear like a parabola, but it will open down and have a highest point.
Jurrasic
y= -2(x+5)^4 A few things about graphing this ? HELP?

I know how to graph most parts of this function except for these few little details that are bugging me HELP?
y= -2(x+5)^4

It's a parabola.
then you just need to figure out x and y intercepts, i know the y i just figured it out, but how do you figure out the x intercept? In words can anyone explain? I already have the answer in the book, just not the method for it in words. when I tried to get the other intercept this is what happened, well, so far i set everything equal to zero, to find the x intercept. but there's nothing else to do to simplify to solve for y, do you factor it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Jurrasic said:
I know how to graph most parts of this function except for these few little details that are bugging me HELP?
y= -2(x+5)^4

It's a parabola.
then you just need to figure out x and y intercepts, i know the y i just figured it out, but how do you figure out the x intercept? In words can anyone explain? I already have the answer in the book, just not the method for it in words. when I tried to get the other intercept this is what happened, well, so far i set everything equal to zero, to find the x intercept. but there's nothing else to do to simplify to solve for y, do you factor it?
It is shaped like a parabola, but it is not a parabola! Parabolas are quadratic, i.e. a polynomial with the highest power being 2.

To solve for the y-intercept, you plugged in x=0 into the equation, yes? To solve for the x-intercept you just need to solve for x when y=0. Just plug y=0 into the equation and see if you can solve for x. It's quite easy too, just think of what x needs to be in order for the right side to be equal to 0.
Hint: If an=0 for some non-zero n, then a=0.

What I said here was wrong.

Last edited:

The graph only appears like a parabola. It will open down so there is a highest point. The rest is like Mentallic said.

1. What is the equation for the graph y = -2(x+5)^4?

The equation represents a polynomial function in standard form, where the degree is 4, the leading coefficient is -2, and the x-intercept is -5.

2. How does the value of -2 affect the graph?

The value of -2 as the leading coefficient determines the direction of the graph. Since it is negative, the graph will be reflected over the x-axis.

3. What does the exponent of 4 do to the graph?

The exponent of 4 increases the steepness of the graph, making it more curved and compressed towards the vertex.

4. How do I find the vertex of this graph?

The vertex of the graph can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a is the leading coefficient (-2) and b is the value inside the parentheses (5). Therefore, the vertex is located at (-5,0).

5. How many x-intercepts does this graph have?

Since the degree of the polynomial function is 4, the graph can have up to 4 x-intercepts. However, since the equation is in the form y = -2(x+5)^4, the graph will only have 1 x-intercept at x = -5.