1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y= -2(x+5)^4 A few things about graphing this ? HELP?

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    y= -2(x+5)^4 A few things about graphing this ? HELP???

I know how to graph most parts of this function except for these few little details that are bugging me HELP?
    y= -2(x+5)^4

It's a parabola.
    then you just need to figure out x and y intercepts, i know the y i just figured it out, but how do you figure out the x intercept? In words can anyone explain? I already have the answer in the book, just not the method for it in words. when I tried to get the other intercept this is what happened, well, so far i set everything equal to zero, to find the x intercept. but there's nothing else to do to simplify to solve for y, do you factor it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Re: y= -2(x+5)^4 A few things about graphing this ? HELP???

It is shaped like a parabola, but it is not a parabola! Parabolas are quadratic, i.e. a polynomial with the highest power being 2.

To solve for the y-intercept, you plugged in x=0 into the equation, yes? To solve for the x-intercept you just need to solve for x when y=0. Just plug y=0 into the equation and see if you can solve for x. It's quite easy too, just think of what x needs to be in order for the right side to be equal to 0.
    Hint: If an=0 for some non-zero n, then a=0.

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What I said here was wrong.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The graph only appears like a parabola. It will open down so there is a highest point. The rest is like Mentallic said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook