Unsolvable Equation: Solve for y

• Thread starter superg33k
  • Start date
In summary, the provided equation is a solvable second-order differential equation. There are various methods for solving it, such as variation of parameters, power series, Laplace transforms, and the method of undetermined coefficients. As scientists, it is our job to solve complex equations and problems, so don't be discouraged by initial failures. Keep trying and you will find the solution.
superg33k

Homework Statement

Solve for y: (note the one in the title is wrong)

[tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = -2xy \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]

Homework Equations

None that I can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

[strike]Oh so many failures. None which solved anything. I don't even know if this equation is solvable. :([/strike]

Well I think the correct solution should contain two unknowns. Two solutions are y=A and y=3/2 x^(-2) but a linear combination of these is not. Also no other solutions can be expressed as a finite polynomial. So where the heck do I go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this equation to our attention. I can assure you that this equation is indeed solvable. The equation you have provided is a second-order differential equation, and there are various methods for solving such equations.

One approach is to use the method of variation of parameters, where we assume the solution to be in the form of y = u(x)y1(x) + v(x)y2(x), where y1 and y2 are two linearly independent solutions to the homogeneous equation (i.e. when the right-hand side is equal to 0). We can then solve for u(x) and v(x) using the given boundary conditions.

Another approach is to use power series methods, where we assume the solution to be in the form of a power series and then solve for the coefficients using the given boundary conditions.

There are also other methods such as Laplace transforms and the method of undetermined coefficients that can be used to solve this type of equation.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. As scientists, it is our job to solve complex equations and problems, so don't be discouraged by initial failures. Keep trying and you will find the solution.

1. What is an unsolvable equation?

An unsolvable equation is a mathematical equation that cannot be solved for a specific variable. This means that no matter what mathematical operations are performed, a solution for that variable cannot be found.

2. Can all equations be solved?

No, not all equations can be solved. There are certain equations, such as the unsolvable equation, that do not have a solution for a specific variable.

3. How do we know if an equation is unsolvable?

An equation is considered unsolvable if it does not have a solution for a specific variable, even after performing all possible mathematical operations.

4. Why are unsolvable equations important?

Unsolvable equations are important in mathematics because they challenge our understanding and problem-solving abilities. They also have real-world applications, such as in cryptography, where unsolvable equations are used to protect sensitive information.

5. Is there any way to approximate a solution for an unsolvable equation?

While an exact solution may not be possible for an unsolvable equation, there are methods such as numerical approximation that can provide a close estimate. However, these methods are not always accurate and may not work for every unsolvable equation.