Sketching Log Function: Mama, Papa & Child

• Thread starter navneet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about sketching the graph of a log function and the requirement of including Mama, Papa, and one child in the sketch. The person responding is unsure of what the question means and suggests clarifying it. They also mention the possibility of graphing the function, its integral, and derivative.
navneet
Hi I was brought upto this questiong!
sketch the graph of log any log function and the sketch must have at least Mama, Papa, and one child?

what does it mean by Mama, Papa and one Child!

Physics news on Phys.org
You please post the question properly, and look whether the problem is suit enough to be put here. I don't want to misunderstand what the question means. I can't figure out from the above post, what is the question and what are the things you want to comment about it.

navneet said:
Hi I was brought upto this questiong!
sketch the graph of log any log function and the sketch must have at least Mama, Papa, and one child?
what does it mean by Mama, Papa and one Child!

You clearly have a teacher with a sense of humor- I feel sorry for you.

Unless, you are translating this from another language- sometimes technical terms get translated in odd ways.
Possibly they want you to graph y= loga(x) as well as its integral and derivative?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I sketch a log function?

To sketch a log function, start by plotting the x and y intercepts, which are (1,0) and (0,1) respectively. Then, plot a few more points by substituting different values of x into the log function. Lastly, connect the points with a smooth curve to complete the sketch.

2. What is the parent function of a log function?

The parent function of a log function is y = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm. This function has a vertical asymptote at x = 0 and passes through the points (1,0) and (b,1).

3. How do I determine the domain and range of a log function?

The domain of a log function is all positive real numbers, since the logarithm of a negative number is undefined. The range depends on the base of the logarithm. If the base is greater than 1, the range is all real numbers. If the base is between 0 and 1, the range is all negative real numbers.

4. Can a log function have a horizontal asymptote?

Yes, a log function can have a horizontal asymptote. The value of the asymptote is determined by the base of the logarithm. If the base is greater than 1, the horizontal asymptote is y = 0. If the base is between 0 and 1, the horizontal asymptote is y = -∞.

5. How do I sketch the transformations of a log function?

To sketch the transformations of a log function, first plot the parent function. Then, apply any horizontal or vertical translations, reflections, or dilations by following the appropriate rules. Finally, sketch the new points and connect them to create the transformed graph.