Yang-Mills covariant derivative

In summary, the conversation discussed the definition and properties of the covariant derivative in developing the Yang-Mills Lagrangian. It was clarified that A_mu is a 1-form field and that when quantized, it becomes an operator. The conversation also touched upon the gauge symmetry and transformations of the gauge field, and the need for a good text in understanding these concepts. Recommendations for texts such as Peskin & Schroeder and Kaku's Quantum Field Theory were given.
Phrak
In developing the Yang-Mills Lagrangian, Wikipedia defines the covariant derivative as

[tex]\ D_ \mu = \partial _\mu + A _\mu (x) [/tex].

Is A_mu to be taken as a 1-form, so that

[tex] \ D _\mu \Phi = \partial _\mu \Phi + A _\mu (x) [/tex]

or an operator on \Phi, such that

[tex] \ D _\mu \Phi = \partial _\mu \Phi + A _\mu (x) \Phi [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
operator

Classically, it's a 1-form field that gets multiplied by Phi. When you quantize, you promote it to operator.

thanks guys

As an exercise, I derived the (classical) connection given by the Wikipedia article. But now I'm wondering what it is that I've derived?

They claim "the gauge field A(x) is defined to have the transformation law:

[tex]A_\mu (x) \mapsto A_\mu (x) - \frac{1}{g}(\partial_\mu G(x))G^{-1}(x)[/tex]

This is all very nice, but the connection [tex]A_\mu[/tex] is zero valued before the transformation isn't it?

If this is the case it would seem to be saying

[tex]0 \mapsto 0 - \frac{1}{g}(\partial_\mu G(x))G^{-1}(x)[/tex]

No, it's not zero valued, it's completely arbitrary.

Yang-Mills field consists of a set of N matter fields (boson or fermion) and a gauge field. For simplicity, consider scalar fields. Classically, you can describe Yang-Mills field with a set of N numbers and a connection (basically a N*N*4 array of complex numbers) in every point of space. This description has a "gauge symmetry", meaning that many different combinations of numbers describe identical physics. Your transformation law says that, you can start with [tex]A(x)[/tex] and [tex]\Phi(x)[/tex], apply gauge transformation using arbitrary [tex]G(x)[/tex], and you'll have an identical state, in the sense that all physical observables are the same as before the transformation. One consequence is that the Lagrangian must be invariant under the transformation. The other is that all physical observables must be invariant. For example, the field itself is not invariant, therefore it's not measurable. But you can construct invariant quantities, such as the trace of an integral of the connection around any closed path.

hamster143 said:

Yes, that was my point. A temporary mental block had me stuck.

[/quote]Yang-Mills field consists of a set of N matter fields (boson or fermion) and a gauge field. For simplicity, consider scalar fields. Classically, you can describe Yang-Mills field with a set of N numbers and a connection (basically a N*N*4 array of complex numbers) in every point of space. This description has a "gauge symmetry", meaning that many different combinations of numbers describe identical physics. Your transformation law says that, you can start with [tex]A(x)[/tex] and [tex]\Phi(x)[/tex], apply gauge transformation using arbitrary [tex]G(x)[/tex], and you'll have an identical state, in the sense that all physical observables are the same as before the transformation. One consequence is that the Lagrangian must be invariant under the transformation. The other is that all physical observables must be invariant. For example, the field itself is not invariant, therefore it's not measurable. But you can construct invariant quantities, such as the trace of an integral of the connection around any closed path.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarifications. Can you recommend a text? Wikipedia is proving insufficient of course.

hamster143 said:

Yes, that was my point. A temporary mental block had me stuck.

And thanks for the clarifications. Can you recommend a text? Wikipedia is proving insufficient of course.

What kind of text do you need?

If you want general QFT, there's no good text, they are all equally bad. It still amazes me that we don't have a single textbook that would bother to keep the distinction between numbers and operators (is it so hard to keep hats?), or to define the Hilbert space of quantum fields, or to maintain some kind of rigor when dealing with loops of virtual particles. Many texts even use dimensional regularization (aka "magic") as the primary device to show how to cancel infinities that arise in those loops. (Which, in my opinion, is an absolute crime against humanity punishable by a lifetime ban on publishing) No one even tries to make the connection between QFT and higher-level theories (classical field theory or nonrelativistic QM). Grassmann numbers (the epitome of unphysical) are the centerpiece of every book, but you have to go into specialized literature to find out about polymer models. Ugh.

If you just want the basics of Yang-Mills theory, chapter 15 of Peskin & Schroeder does a decent job while staying readable.

Last edited:
hamster143 said:
What kind of text do you need?

If you want general QFT, there's no good text, they are all equally bad. It still amazes me that we don't have a single textbook that would bother to keep the distinction between numbers and operators (is it so hard to keep hats?), or to define the Hilbert space of quantum fields, or to maintain some kind of rigor when dealing with loops of virtual particles. Many texts even use dimensional regularization (aka "magic") as the primary device to show how to cancel infinities that arise in those loops. (Which, in my opinion, is an absolute crime against humanity punishable by a lifetime ban on publishing) No one even tries to make the connection between QFT and higher-level theories (classical field theory or nonrelativistic QM). Grassmann numbers (the epitome of unphysical) are the centerpiece of every book, but you have to go into specialized literature to find out about polymer models. Ugh.

If you just want the basics of Yang-Mills theory, chapter 15 of Peskin & Schroeder does a decent job while staying readable.

Thanks, I'll keep Peskin in mind. I have Weinberg, but I've been loathe to open it, for similar reasons you give above. Guess I'll have to. I really need a good development of classical, local gauge fields, (for the slow learner, of course :) that I can apply to a Kaluza-Klein topology, and see what breaks--or doesn't. The quantum development would be extra icing.

Last edited:
I found Weinberg too thick and he doesn't cover gauge theory much. Kaku's Quantum Field Theory is better, first covering Lie algebra, then devoting a chapter to gauge theory.

Weinbergs text is probably the most intellectually satisfying, in that its pretty logically consistent. However the notation is atrocious (why carry so many Clebsch coefficients?) and justs serves to mask some of the physics.

Id recommend reading through Zee quickly without doing the exercises and just getting a feel of things, and then find Colemans lectures or just take a class.

Haelfix said:
Weinbergs text is probably the most intellectually satisfying, in that its pretty logically consistent. However the notation is atrocious (why carry so many Clebsch coefficients?) and justs serves to mask some of the physics.

Id recommend reading through Zee quickly without doing the exercises and just getting a feel of things, and then find Colemans lectures or just take a class.

Thanks Haelfix. After pecking around, I was suprized to find this folderhttps://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151"

Some are downloadable texts, or lecture notes, so I can actually see from the table of contents if they contain what I'm after.

The Coleman Lectures look very cool, but my limited bandwidth places them out range.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Yang-Mills covariant derivative?

A Yang-Mills covariant derivative is a mathematical operator used in quantum field theory to describe interactions between elementary particles. It allows for the calculation of how a field changes in the presence of a gauge field, which represents the field's interactions with other particles.

2. How does the Yang-Mills covariant derivative differ from a regular derivative?

The Yang-Mills covariant derivative takes into account the interactions between particles, while a regular derivative only considers the intrinsic properties of the field. This makes the covariant derivative more suitable for describing the behavior of fields at the quantum level.

3. Why is the Yang-Mills covariant derivative important in particle physics?

The Yang-Mills covariant derivative is important because it allows for the formulation of gauge theories, which accurately describe the interactions between elementary particles. These theories have been successful in predicting and explaining many fundamental interactions in particle physics, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.

4. How is the Yang-Mills covariant derivative related to symmetry?

The Yang-Mills covariant derivative is closely related to symmetry because it is based on the principle of local gauge invariance. This means that the laws of physics should remain the same even if the fields are transformed by a local symmetry operation.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Yang-Mills covariant derivative?

Yes, the Yang-Mills covariant derivative has many practical applications in particle physics. It is used in the standard model of particle physics to describe the behavior of quarks and leptons, and has also been used in the development of theories such as quantum chromodynamics and the electroweak theory. Additionally, it has applications in other fields such as condensed matter physics and cosmology.