1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Year out between undergrad to grad -- any reading worthwhile?

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    I've just completed my degree in maths and physics and am going for a maths masters the following year.

Am I likely to loose any sharpness in this time?

Without really knowing what modules I'll be doing and even if I did, each lecturer seems to approach a specification/ prioritise certain bits of the specification differently, so imo it's tricky to know what to read on,

or,

is there any sort of general reading that could be worthwhile in that it will continue to develop the way of thinking, rather than focusing on the content .

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2
    The Feynman Lectures.

4. Aug 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else ?

5. Aug 15, 2015 #4
    It is less about the reading for general knowledge, and more about the way of thinking and problem solving IMO. Work problems from graduate level texts in each subfield at whatever pace you can manage. Read only as necessary to be able to work the problems. The more you can do before you start, the better. This method will also help you upkeep physics-related math skills (variational calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, etc) that could possibly go unused even while working a masters in math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook