Yes, there is no force shown in the figure on A.

In summary, the problem involves a rectangular piece of wood with forces applied to corners B and D and an axis of rotation at the center. The magnitudes of the forces at corners B and D are each 17 N and the long side of the rectangle is 2.5 times as long as the short side. The question asks for the magnitude and direction of the force FA applied to corner A, which is assumed to be in the same direction as the forces at corners B and D. However, the provided solution attempts were incorrect and it is unclear if there is a force applied at an angle at corner A or at any other corners.
littleman

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a rectangular piece of wood. The forces applied to corners B and D have the same magnitude and are directed parallel to the long and short sides of the rectangle. An axis of rotation is shown perpendicular to the plane of the rectangle at its center.

http://www.webassign.net/CJ/p9-73.gif

The magnitudes of the forces at corners B and D are each 17 N. The long side of the rectangle is 2.5 times as long as the short side. What are the magnitude and direction of the force FA applied to corner A? Assume that the direction of FA is the same as in part (b).

Homework Equations

Torque = Force * length

The Attempt at a Solution

So originally, I thought that to solve this problem, the torque at A would be equal in magnitude to the net torque from B and D. So I did the following:

let x = the length of the shorter side; therefore, 2.5x is the length of the longer side
let n = the force applied at A

n*x = 17x + 2.5*17*x
solving this, we can cancel out x, and get that n = 59.5; this is incorrect. I tried a few other things, including n*x + 17x = 2.5*17*x to get n=25.5, but that is also incorrect.
So I'm confused here, am I misreading the question? I know you guys can't solve the question for me, but maybe you can point me in the right direction...I can only submit the answer to this question one more time before webassign locks it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not say so, but I presume that this piece of wood is in equilibrium.

What is part (b)?

There is no force shown in the figure at A; are to understand that there is one at an angle?

Is there also a force applied at C?

Dr.D said:
You did not say so, but I presume that this piece of wood is in equilibrium.

What is part (b)?

There is no force shown in the figure at A; are to understand that there is one at an angle?

Is there also a force applied at C?

I am also assuming that the wood is in equilibrium, I posted all the information I was given that was pertinent to the question.

part b was just a multiple choice question, it asked what direction the force should be applied on A. The answer was in the direction to B.

There is no force on C, it never stated that there was and the diagram doesn't show it.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate or change its motion.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. These forces act on different scales and have unique properties.

3. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) using a device called a spring scale or a force meter. One Newton is equal to the amount of force needed to accelerate a 1 kg mass at a rate of 1 m/s².

4. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

5. How do forces and torque affect the motion of a block?

Forces and torque can both cause a block to accelerate or change its motion. If the forces acting on a block are balanced, the block will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the forces are unbalanced, the block will accelerate in the direction of the net force. Torque, on the other hand, can cause a block to rotate or change its orientation. The direction of the rotation depends on the direction of the torque relative to the axis of rotation.