Yet another double slit thread.

In summary, the conversation discusses the double slit problem and various theories and perspectives surrounding it. Some believe that the universe splits to create two particles which can interfere, while others think it is a problem of perspective and scale. There is also a discussion about the wave-particle duality of light and the wavelike properties of matter. One person suggests that the interference in the double slit experiment is due to the photon existing in multiple realities, while another argues that it is simply a result of the wave function going through both slits. Ultimately, the conversation highlights different beliefs and theories about the nature of light and its behavior in the double slit experiment.
lowing99
Hi Folks

Regarding the double slit problem, I read recently a theory that suggested that the universe itself split creating effectively two particles, which can interfere.

Personally I think this is imaginative but it simply doesn't sit right, it seems somehow illogical and wasteful for the universe to work this way.

I actually think this a problem of perspective and scale. If someone wants to discuss in more detail, I would appreciate throwing some ideas around for general slating, I don't know at the moment if my idea is all new or just replication of someone elses ideas by accident but it feels right, if you know what i mean.

Best

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
I am just a simple housewife an find this subject interesting.time an reality is personal for each.each person it seems changes his reality by what he thinks an sees.the more you try to nail it down the less it bscomes real.you cannot on
this scale see the fluid speed at which we move space an time

Hi Flora

I think it's along the lines of, we see the photon in an average position of many different possible positions, the quantum particles surrounding the photon each have a perspective depending on their position, on the photon.

From the surrounding particles perspective each particle will see the photon in a different position. When we see the photon interfering in the double slit experiment, I think it's because the photon exists in countless realities depending on its neighbours, this means there are multiple simultaneous photons and if their realities overlapped, we would see an average single position of all of it's neighbours but because it is made of multiple realites it can interfere with its other realities and create the pattern.

When we set up equipment to measure the exact location of the photon as it travels through the slit we by definition define it in a single reality of exact position and so the average is not seen, the single position is seen and as it is singular it appears as a single photon on the plate.

Does this make sense, hope so.

Probably fanciful.

Best

Colin

I don't think there's a double-slit "problem" at all, if you just accept the wave-particle duality of light as intrinsic. You don't need "many worlds" to do this :smile:

Hi Dougal

That's a sore point as I am still unconvinced that light moves in waves at all, perhaps it moves in straight lines and everything slower moves in waves.

Not a popular belief, I realize :)

Best

Colin

lowing99 said:
Hi Dougal

That's a sore point as I am still unconvinced that light moves in waves at all, perhaps it moves in straight lines and everything slower moves in waves.

Not a popular belief, I realize :)

Best

Colin

I'm not sure why you have such a hard time believing that. Evidence has shown the wavelike properties of light for something like 200 years. Light was believed to be wavelike long before matter was.

Also, the wavelike properties of light are almost exactly like the wavelike properties of electrons and other matter. The differences are only in the effects that different masses or momentum cause. Even large molecules themselves have been shown to behave in a wavelike manner and will interfere and such.

lowing99 said:
Hi Flora

I think it's along the lines of, we see the photon in an average position of many different possible positions, the quantum particles surrounding the photon each have a perspective depending on their position, on the photon.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Any observation of a photon involves the photon being in one specific place. I don't see how any particles could have a "perspective" on the photon, as it would require interaction for them to be affected by it, to "see" it.

From the surrounding particles perspective each particle will see the photon in a different position. When we see the photon interfering in the double slit experiment, I think it's because the photon exists in countless realities depending on its neighbours, this means there are multiple simultaneous photons and if their realities overlapped, we would see an average single position of all of it's neighbours but because it is made of multiple realites it can interfere with its other realities and create the pattern.

I don't believe this is the case. The photon has a random probability of being found at a location BEFORE observation or interaction. The interference created by a photon in the double slit is because the wave function that is the photon goes through both slits and interferes with itself. It doesn't "split" into multiple particles.

When we set up equipment to measure the exact location of the photon as it travels through the slit we by definition define it in a single reality of exact position and so the average is not seen, the single position is seen and as it is singular it appears as a single photon on the plate.

Whether the photon experiences interference or not it will always be a single photon upon detection at the plate. The interference only affects the location on the plate that the photon will strike. It is still an average of the possible locations the photon will hit, but instead of getting interference patterns you only get a single pattern as if each photon had only gone through one slit.

I think all that is pretty much correct. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and other small particles. It involves shining a beam of light or particles through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of light and matter. It shows that particles can behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns, challenging the traditional view of particles as solid, distinct entities.

3. How does the double slit experiment work?

In the double slit experiment, a beam of light or particles is directed towards a barrier with two parallel slits. The particles passing through the slits diffract and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of light and dark bands on a screen placed behind the slits.

4. What is the difference between a single slit and a double slit experiment?

A single slit experiment involves passing a beam of light or particles through a single narrow opening, resulting in a diffraction pattern on a screen. In a double slit experiment, the beam is passed through two parallel slits, resulting in an interference pattern on the screen.

5. What are the practical applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, optics, and engineering. It has also been used to study the properties of different particles and can be used in the development of new technologies such as quantum computing.