Yet another statics problem involving several forces

In summary, the body is connected to the ground with a movable joint at B and slides without friction at A. The forces acting on the body include P, R1, R2, F1, and F2, with P and M not specified. The equations to be used are ΣF=0, ΣFx=0, ΣFy=0, and ΣM=0. The calculations involve finding the forces acting on the body and simplifying the drawing.
mechanim

Homework Statement

The body is connected to the ground with a moving joint at B, the body slides with no friction at A.
image.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣF=0 => ΣFx=0 & ΣFy=0
ΣM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

First I made a drawing:
222.png

At this point I started calculating:
ΣFx=>P-R2-F1, so: P=R2+F1
ΣFy=> R1+F2-mg=0, so: R1+F2=mg

I'm quite confused when it comes to the moment around B, I know that Moment=force*distance, but how do I draw all the distance that I need?

I thought about something like that:
222.png

So, the distance between F1 and the point B is a, while the distance between F2 and B is b.
Knowing this, I assume that the moment would look like that:

Mb: P+mg-F2*b-F1*a-R2-R1=0
now I replace P and mg according to the previous equations:
Mb: R2+F1+R1+F2-F2*b-F1*a-R2-R1=0
now the weird part is that I could reduce almost everything in the equation above, so that I would only be left with:
Mb: b-a=0
but it doesn't make any sense.

I would appreciate any help, thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things:
1) the 'mg' force always acts from the center of mass of the object
2) how exactly does the body slide? Seems to be some mistake there

Likes mechanim
2) how exactly does the body slide? Seems to be some mistake there

I don't think they are saying it slides. I think the point is that there is no friction at "a" so that it could slide if "b" wasn't there. If there was friction at "a" (or if "a" was another mounting like that at "b") then I think you would find it hard to calculate how forces are shared between "a" and "b".

Likes mechanim
Deleted.

It says exactly that the body slides at A with no friction. I don't know exactly what they mean by that either. What do you think about the equations though?

What
mechanim said:
It says exactly that the body slides at A with no friction. I don't know exactly what they mean by that either. What do you think about the equations though?
what does it say about P and M?? In fact, what is the question as exactly worded?

That is the problem, it doesn't say anything about either P or M. I assume that M is supposed to be Moment, while P is a force, but the whole question is "The body in the picture is connected to the ground with a movable joint and slides without friction at A. Simplify the drawing and find the forces". It doesn't even say how far in the calculations I'm supposed to go.

1. What is statics and why is it important in science?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of forces acting on a stationary object. It is important in science because it helps us understand the equilibrium and stability of structures, machines, and other objects.

2. How do you determine the resultant force in a system of several forces?

The resultant force is the sum of all the individual forces acting on an object. To determine it, you must first find the vector components of each force, then add them together using vector addition.

3. What is the difference between a force's magnitude and direction?

The magnitude of a force refers to its size or strength, while the direction refers to the line along which the force acts. Both are important in determining the overall effect of a force on an object.

4. How do you calculate the moment of a force?

The moment of a force is the measure of its tendency to cause an object to rotate around a specific point. To calculate it, you must multiply the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of statics?

Statics has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and construction. For example, in the construction of a bridge, engineers use statics to ensure that the forces acting on the bridge are balanced and the structure is stable.