Find out the Minimum Diameter Wire for a 176.00N Sign

In summary, a brass wire with a yield strength of 4.75×108Pa and length of 2.10m needs to support a 176.00N "Eat At Joe's" sign without permanently elongating. To find the minimum diameter of the wire, one could use the equation F/A = Yield (Delta L/ L initial) and solve for the area. However, it is necessary to know the change in length, which can be determined using Hooke's law and the concept of stress.
SnowOwl18
This one is confusing me:

-----The yield strength of a material is the largest stress a material can support without permanently elongating (like a slinky stretched too far). A brass wire 2.10m long is to support a 176.00N "Eat At Joe's" sign without permanently elongating. The wire is made of a variety of yellow cold-rolled brass that has a yield strength of 4.75×108Pa. What minimum diameter wire is called for?----

I'm not sure what type of equation I could use to solve this problem...I'm just kinda lost. Any guidance would be awesome. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by thinking about normal stresses in the wire (which in this case behaves as a rod), with respect to yield strength information about Hooke's law is handy in explaining the concept of the problem further (eat at Joe's sign ... someone has been creative ... :rofl: ).

Surely they tought you what stress is before giving you problems like this ?

How is stress defined ?

Yes, my teacher is a creative one ;)

Stress and pressure are F/A. Someone was trying to help me with the problem and he said to use the equation : F/A = Yield (Delta L/ L initial)...sort of like the setup using Young's modulus. So I was trying to solve for area so that I could find the diameter of the wire, but I don't know what the change in length would be. Am I going about this correctly? Thanks for the help so far :)

What is the purpose of finding the minimum diameter wire for a 176.00N sign?

The purpose of finding the minimum diameter wire for a 176.00N sign is to determine the appropriate wire size needed to support the weight of the sign and ensure its stability.

What factors are involved in determining the minimum diameter wire for a 176.00N sign?

The factors involved in determining the minimum diameter wire for a 176.00N sign include the weight of the sign, the distance between the support points, the material and thickness of the wire, and the type of support structure.

How do you calculate the minimum diameter wire for a 176.00N sign?

The minimum diameter wire for a 176.00N sign can be calculated using the formula W=4L^3/(πd^4), where W is the weight of the sign, L is the distance between support points, and d is the diameter of the wire.

What are the potential consequences of using a wire with a smaller diameter than the minimum required for a 176.00N sign?

Using a wire with a smaller diameter than the minimum required for a 176.00N sign can result in the sign being unstable and potentially falling, causing damage or injury. It can also lead to the wire breaking or wearing down quickly due to the excess weight it is supporting.

Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when installing the wire for a 176.00N sign?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear and follow proper safety protocols when installing the wire for a 176.00N sign. This includes using appropriate tools, securing the wire properly, and ensuring the support structure is stable. It is also recommended to have a professional or experienced individual handle the installation to ensure safety and accuracy.