1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yield Strength

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    This one is confusing me:

-----The yield strength of a material is the largest stress a material can support without permanently elongating (like a slinky stretched too far). A brass wire 2.10m long is to support a 176.00N "Eat At Joe's" sign without permanently elongating. The wire is made of a variety of yellow cold-rolled brass that has a yield strength of 4.75×108Pa. What minimum diameter wire is called for?----

I'm not sure what type of equation I could use to solve this problem...I'm just kinda lost. Any guidance would be awesome. Thanks :)
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could start by thinking about normal stresses in the wire (which in this case behaves as a rod), with respect to yield strength information about Hooke's law is handy in explaining the concept of the problem further (eat at Joe's sign ... someone has been creative .... :rofl: ).
  4. Nov 30, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely they tought you what stress is before giving you problems like this ?

How is stress defined ?
  5. Nov 30, 2004 #4
    Yes, my teacher is a creative one ;)

Stress and pressure are F/A. Someone was trying to help me with the problem and he said to use the equation : F/A = Yield (Delta L/ L initial)....sort of like the setup using Young's modulus. So I was trying to solve for area so that I could find the diameter of the wire, but I don't know what the change in length would be. Am I going about this correctly? Thanks for the help so far :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?