Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Yield Strength

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    This one is confusing me:

-----The yield strength of a material is the largest stress a material can support without permanently elongating (like a slinky stretched too far). A brass wire 2.10m long is to support a 176.00N "Eat At Joe's" sign without permanently elongating. The wire is made of a variety of yellow cold-rolled brass that has a yield strength of 4.75×108Pa. What minimum diameter wire is called for?----

I'm not sure what type of equation I could use to solve this problem...I'm just kinda lost. Any guidance would be awesome. Thanks :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could start by thinking about normal stresses in the wire (which in this case behaves as a rod), with respect to yield strength information about Hooke's law is handy in explaining the concept of the problem further (eat at Joe's sign ... someone has been creative .... :rofl: ).

4. Nov 30, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely they tought you what stress is before giving you problems like this ?

How is stress defined ?

5. Nov 30, 2004 #4
    Yes, my teacher is a creative one ;)

Stress and pressure are F/A. Someone was trying to help me with the problem and he said to use the equation : F/A = Yield (Delta L/ L initial)....sort of like the setup using Young's modulus. So I was trying to solve for area so that I could find the diameter of the wire, but I don't know what the change in length would be. Am I going about this correctly? Thanks for the help so far :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook