Calculating Final Velocity of a Yo-Yo Dropped from 0.8 m

In summary, a yo-yo with a mass of .3 Kg and a radius of .03 m, spinning on an axel of radius .02 meters, is dropped a distance of .8 m. The final velocity of the yo-yo can be calculated using the formulas mg -T=ma and mr(0)t = I(alpha)-->(alpha)= a/r, giving a final acceleration of 4.6 m/s^2.
Menisto
A yo-yo of mass .3 Kg with a radius .03 m spins on an axel of radius .02 meters. It is dropped a distance .8 m, what is its final velocity?

I started:

mg -T=ma
mr(0)t = I(alpha)-->(alpha)= a/r

So:

mg - (Ia)/mr(0)^2 = ma

a = mg/ (m + I/(mr(0)^2)

I = 1/2 mR(1)^2

I checked over this numerous times and was unable to find my error, but I keep getting 2.06 for acceleration. The acceleration that would lead to the correct answer is 4.6 (m/s^2).

Physics news on Phys.org
Menisto said:
A yo-yo of mass .3 Kg with a radius .03 m spins on an axel of radius .02 meters. It is dropped a distance .8 m, what is its final velocity?

I started:

mg -T=ma
mr(0)t = I(alpha)-->(alpha)= a/r

So:

mg - (Ia)/mr(0)^2 = ma

a = mg/ (m + I/(mr(0)^2)

I = 1/2 mR(1)^2

I checked over this numerous times and was unable to find my error, but I keep getting 2.06 for acceleration. The acceleration that would lead to the correct answer is 4.6 (m/s^2).
Everything you have said looks correct. I cannot see an error that would lead to the answer you got, but you must have made an algebra mistake. I got a = 4.6m/s^2

It is possible that there is a mistake in your calculations or in the given information. It is important to double check all values and equations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to use a different approach or formula to calculate the final velocity. One possible approach is to use the conservation of energy equation, where the initial potential energy is equal to the final kinetic energy. This would give the equation:

mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2

Where m is the mass of the yo-yo, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height it is dropped from, v is the final velocity, I is the moment of inertia, and w is the angular velocity. Solving for v, we get:

v = √(2gh + Iw^2/m)

Using the given values, we can calculate the final velocity to be approximately 2.89 m/s. It is important to note that this approach assumes that the yo-yo is dropped without any initial angular velocity. If the yo-yo is already spinning when it is dropped, the final velocity will be different. It is also possible that there are other factors at play, such as air resistance, which could affect the final velocity. As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze the situation and consider all possible variables in order to accurately calculate the final velocity.

1. How do you calculate the final velocity of a yo-yo dropped from 0.8 m?

The final velocity of a yo-yo dropped from 0.8 m can be calculated using the equation Vf = √(Vi^2 + 2gh), where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity (in this case, it is 0), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height from which the yo-yo was dropped (0.8 m).

2. What is the initial velocity of a yo-yo dropped from 0.8 m?

The initial velocity of a yo-yo dropped from 0.8 m is 0, as it is assumed that the yo-yo is dropped from rest.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2, which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity.

4. Can the final velocity of a yo-yo dropped from 0.8 m be negative?

Yes, the final velocity of a yo-yo dropped from 0.8 m can be negative if the yo-yo is thrown upwards with a force greater than the force of gravity pulling it down. In this case, the yo-yo would have a positive initial velocity and a negative final velocity.

5. How does air resistance affect the final velocity of a yo-yo dropped from 0.8 m?

Air resistance can slightly decrease the final velocity of a yo-yo dropped from 0.8 m due to the force it exerts on the yo-yo as it falls. However, for small objects like yo-yos, the effect of air resistance is minimal and can be ignored for calculation purposes.