What Happens When a Force is Applied to a Yoyo?

In summary, the conversation involves determining the effects of three different forces applied to a yoyo. Force one causes the yoyo to rotate clockwise and be pushed to the right by friction, force two results in a balanced forces and no movement, and force three causes counterclockwise rotation and leftward push from friction. The assumption of smooth rolling without slipping is specified in the question, and it is suggested to use different radii and treat the yoyo as a disk to find its moment of inertia for better analysis.
vu10758
I have the question at http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=128765607&imageID=1423959807

I have to determine what happens if each force is applied.

This is what I think.

If force one is applied, the yoyo will rotate clockwise, and friction will push it to the right.

If force three is applied, the yoyo will rotate counterclockwise and friction will push it to the left.

If force two is applied, the forces on the yoyo is zero and it will not move since friction and the force will balance each other out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will need to quantify your answers to get these all correct. Assume friction is acting and is large enough to prevent slipping. If that assumption proves unreasonable in any case, then slipping should be included.

The question specified that I am to assume that the yoyo roll smoothly without slipping.

vu10758 said:
The question specified that I am to assume that the yoyo roll smoothly without slipping.
I wasn't sure if the handwritten part was in the problem, or an assumption. I suggest you put two different radii (inner and outer) in your diagram and assume the yo-yo is essentially a disk to find its moment of inertia. It's not absolutely necessary to do this, but I think it will help you analyze the situations.

Thank you.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate, change direction, or deform.

2. How does a force affect a yoyo?

A force applied to a yoyo will cause it to move in the direction of the force. The yoyo will also experience a change in velocity and may spin faster or slower depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.

3. What happens when a force is applied to a yoyo while it is spinning?

If a force is applied to a yoyo while it is spinning, the yoyo will experience a change in its rotational motion. The direction and magnitude of the force will determine whether the yoyo will spin faster, slower, or change direction.

4. Can a force cause a yoyo to stop spinning?

Yes, a force can cause a yoyo to stop spinning. This can happen if the force is strong enough to overcome the inertia of the yoyo's spinning motion. The yoyo will then come to a stop or begin to spin in the opposite direction.

5. How does the surface affect a yoyo when a force is applied?

The surface the yoyo is on can affect the force applied to it. A smooth surface will allow the yoyo to spin more freely, while a rough surface may cause the yoyo to slow down or stop more quickly. Friction between the yoyo and the surface can also play a role in the force applied to the yoyo.