Youngs double slit exp.

In summary, the fringe width in a Young's double slit experiment was observed to be 0.20mm when using green light. To determine the fringe width when red light replaces green light, we can use the equation lambda=ay/d. From this equation, we know that the fringe width is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the light used. Since red light has a longer wavelength than green light, the fringe width will be smaller. Using the given values of wavelength for green and red light (5.2x10^-7m and 6.5x10^-7m, respectively), we can calculate the ratio of their wavelengths and use it to determine the new fringe width. Therefore, the new fringe width will be smaller
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

In a Youngs dbl. slit experiment using green light the fringe width was observed to be 0.20mm.if red light replaces green light,what will be the fringe width?

Homework Equations

hmm lambda=ay/d but (no info is given on rest)=/
wavelengths:green=5.2x10^-7m ,red=6.5x10^-7m

The Attempt at a Solution

well i don't know if its correct but i tried to solve it.by dividing the wavelength of of red over greens and i got 1.25m which i multiplied to (2x10^-4) <---- which is the fringe width of green .=/ i totally made it up .sos here =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey ibysaiyan,

Your method is right but now I want you to explain why it is. What do we know about d, n and L in the equation:

[tex] n \lambda \ = \ \frac{xd}{L}[/tex]

in relation to this question?

The Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

I would like to clarify that the fringe width in a Young's double slit experiment is dependent on the wavelength of the light used, as well as the distance between the slits and the screen. The equation you mentioned, lambda=ay/d, is the formula for calculating the wavelength of light using the fringe width (a), the distance between the slits (d), and the distance between the slits and the screen (y). However, this equation assumes that the light used is monochromatic (single wavelength).

In this scenario, the fringe width for green light is 0.20mm and the wavelength is 5.2x10^-7m. If we were to replace the green light with red light, which has a longer wavelength of 6.5x10^-7m, the fringe width would also change. Using the same equation, we can calculate that the new fringe width for red light would be 0.25mm. This is because the longer wavelength will result in a wider spacing between the fringes.

In conclusion, the fringe width in a Young's double slit experiment is directly proportional to the wavelength of light used. Therefore, replacing the green light with red light will result in a wider fringe width of 0.25mm.

1. What is Young's double slit experiment and how does it work?

Young's double slit experiment is a classic demonstration of the wave nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This pattern is created by the superposition of light waves passing through the two slits and interfering with each other.

2. What is the purpose of Young's double slit experiment?

The purpose of Young's double slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light and to provide evidence for the existence of interference, which is a key principle in understanding the nature of light. It also helps to support the wave theory of light over the particle theory.

3. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern in Young's double slit experiment?

The distance between the slits is directly related to the spacing of the interference fringes on the screen. As the distance between the slits increases, the spacing between the fringes also increases. This is because the wavelength of light remains constant, but the angle at which the light waves interfere changes with the distance between the slits.

4. What is the difference between single-slit diffraction and double-slit interference?

Single-slit diffraction and double-slit interference are both phenomena that occur when light passes through narrow openings. However, in single-slit diffraction, the light waves interfere with each other as they pass through a single slit, creating a diffraction pattern. In double-slit interference, the light waves interfere with each other after passing through two separate slits, creating an interference pattern.

5. How does changing the wavelength of light affect the interference pattern in Young's double slit experiment?

Changing the wavelength of light will change the spacing of the interference fringes on the screen. This is because the wavelength of light is directly proportional to the spacing of the fringes. As the wavelength increases, the spacing between the fringes also increases. This can be observed by using different colors of light in the experiment.