Z-Transform and DTFT Homework: Poles, Zeros, and Endpoints

In summary: X(\omega) is a discrete-time signal v with a value of 3/2 at \omega = 2. This means that x(2) = 3/2.In summary, the given information about the signal x and its DTFT X reveals that x is a finite-length, real and stable signal with a linear phase characteristic and a transfer function that has two terms in the form z^(-n). The signal x has a non-zero value of 2 at n=0 and a value of 3/2 at n=2.
zcd

Homework Statement

You are given the following pieces of information about a real, stable, discrete-time signal x and its DTFT X, which can be written in the form [tex]X(\omega)=A(\omega)e^{i\theta_x(\omega)}[/tex] where [tex]A(\omega)=\pm|X(\omega|[/tex].
a) x is a finite-length signal
b) [tex]\hat{X}[/tex] has exactly two poles at z=0 and no zeros at z=0.
c) [tex]\theta_x(\omega)=\begin{cases} \frac{\omega}{2}+\frac{\pi}{2} & 0<\omega<\pi \\
\frac{\omega}{2}-\frac{\pi}{2} & -\pi<\omega<0\end{cases}[/tex]
d) [tex]X(\omega)\Big|_{\omega=\pi}=2[/tex]
e) [tex]\int_{-\pi}^\pi e^{2i\omega}\frac{d}{d\omega}X(\omega)d\omega =4\pi i[/tex]
f) The sequence v whose DTFT is V (ω) = Re (X(ω)) satisfies v(2) = 3/2.

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{H}(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty h(n)z^{-n}[/tex]
[tex]H(\omega)=\hat{H}(z)\Big|_{z=e^{i\omega}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By parts e) and f) I've figured out that x(-2)=4 and x(2)=-1. With that and part a) and b), I've realized that the rightmost endpoint of x is x(2)=-1 and the leftmost endpoint of x is less than n=-2 (the transfer function can't converge at infinity since the system cannot be causal). Part d) gives me [tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (-1)^n x(n) = 2[/tex], but I'm unsure how to use it at the moment. I do not know how to use part c) at all. Can someone help shed some light on the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the given information, we can make the following observations about the signal x and its DTFT X:

1. The signal x is finite-length, which means it has a finite number of non-zero values. This also implies that x(n) = 0 for n outside the range of the signal.

2. The DTFT X has exactly two poles at z=0, which means that the signal x has two terms in its transfer function that have the form z^(-n). This also means that x(n) = 0 for n < 0.

3. X(\omega)\Big|_{\omega=\pi}=2 tells us that x(n) has a non-zero value at n=0. This can be seen from the definition of the DTFT, where X(\omega) is the sum of the values of x(n)e^(-i\omega n) over all values of n. Since X(\pi) = 2, this means that x(n)e^(-i\pi n) = 2 for n=0, which implies that x(0) = 2.

4. The given expression for \theta_x(\omega) tells us that the phase of X(\omega) is a piecewise linear function with a slope of 1/2 and a discontinuity at \omega = 0. This means that the signal x has a linear phase characteristic, with a slope of 1/2, and a jump of \pi/2 at n=0.

5. The given expression for \hat{X}(\omega) also tells us that the magnitude of X(\omega) is always positive or zero, and it is equal to 2 for \omega = \pi. This means that x(n) is a real signal, and its absolute value is equal to 2 at n=0.

6. The given expression for the integral of e^(2i\omega)\frac{d}{d\omega}X(\omega)d\omega tells us that the signal x has a constant value of 2 for all values of n, except for n=0 where it has a jump of 4\pi i. This means that x(n) = 2 for n \neq 0, and x(0) = 2 + 4\pi i.

7. Finally, the expression for the DTFT of V(\omega) = Re(X(\omega)) tells us

1. What is the difference between Z-Transform and DTFT?

Z-Transform and DTFT (Discrete Time Fourier Transform) are both mathematical tools used in the analysis of discrete-time signals. The main difference between the two is that Z-Transform is used to analyze signals in the time domain, while DTFT is used to analyze signals in the frequency domain.

2. What are poles and zeros in the context of Z-Transform and DTFT?

Poles and zeros are important concepts in the analysis of Z-Transform and DTFT. Poles are the values of the variable in the Z-Transform equation that make the denominator of the equation equal to zero, while zeros are the values of the variable that make the numerator of the equation equal to zero. These values can affect the stability and behavior of a system.

3. How do I determine the stability of a system using Z-Transform and DTFT?

In order to determine the stability of a system using Z-Transform and DTFT, you must first analyze the poles of the system. If all the poles are located inside the unit circle in the Z-plane, then the system is stable. If any poles are located outside the unit circle, then the system is unstable.

4. Can I use Z-Transform and DTFT for continuous-time signals?

No, Z-Transform and DTFT are specifically used for discrete-time signals. For continuous-time signals, the Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform are used.

5. How do I find the endpoints of a region of convergence in Z-Transform?

The endpoints of a region of convergence in Z-Transform can be found by setting the magnitude of the Z-Transform equation equal to zero and solving for the variable. The resulting values will be the endpoints of the region of convergence.