Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zernike mixing - ?

1. May 24, 2008 #1
    Zernike mixing - ???

Hi. I understand that Zernike was a physicist and that he did some work in optics, and am also aware of the Zernike Polynomials which are used in optics to describe aberrations in lenses, etc. What I do not understand is a comment that I got (from a non-native English speaker) in comparing optical materials (Si and Zr) regarding one having "Zernike Mixing" (apparently not desirable) and another not having it. What is "mixing" in "Zernike Mixing"? Does it refer to the mixing of different kinds of aberrations (polynomials) or something akin?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Zernike polynomials are used to describe aberrations in wave optics and are (sort of) interchangable with Seidel coefficients. Zernike polynomials are orthogonal on the unit circle, so I can't understand what is being 'mixed'. I have never head of the term 'Zernike mixing'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?