Zin of a circuit with independent sources

1. Hi,
    This is not a homework question. I need to calculate input impedance for a LNA and this is part of it.
    How do you calculate input impedance, Zin, for the circuit below?
    I tried by applying an input voltage, V1, and calculate Iin.
    Input impedance will be V1/Iin. However, the expression still contains V1 and I can't figure out how to
    make it independent on V1.

There is another method that I am not sure.
    Input impedance will be equal to the impedance as all independent sources are turned off.
    This means that Zin in the picture will be equal to s(Lg + Ls) + 1/(gg + sCgs)

gg is a conductance.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Zin.JPG
      Zin.JPG
      File size:
      6.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Your equation (s(Lg + Ls) + 1/(gg + sCgs)) is the impedance. Someone please confirm, but all you need to do is replace 's' with 2*pi*f*i where i is the imaginary number sqrt(-1) and f is the frequency in hertz. Then solve the resulting complex equation into real and imaginary parts.

4. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,384
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know what the application could be but, assuming the two sources (V1 I1) are coherent, the input impedance (V12/i(in)) seen by V1 will depend upon the phase of the current I1. Have I read the circuit diagram right?

You could solve this using Kirchoff (as always) but there may be an easier way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted