Physics Student Struggling in Canada: Ideas? Advice?

• Thread starter Salviati
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is in their second year of studying physics in Canada and has noticed a decline in their grades. They were hoping to keep the option of a master's degree open, but are losing motivation due to their grades not improving despite studying. They are questioning whether their chosen field is right for them and need to evaluate their study habits.
Salviati
Well -- not good.

Hear me out: Studying physics in Canada, in my second year, almost finished the semester, and my marks are ****. I've hovered around class average (a range from D to C+) in most of my classes since year one and I don't feel like I can improve - rather it seems like the subjects are becoming more and more difficult and my marks are progressively getting lower and lower as a result. So the thing they (people) told me about school getting easier after first year turned out to be horse manure in my case, unfortunately. I was hoping to have a high enough mark by the end of school so as to at least keep the option of a master's degree open. I'm losing motivation to study, and fast, since it seems like no matter how much I study, I get rewarded with C's or D's on tests. That's basically it. Thanks for reading my little story. Ideas? Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not sure who "they" are, but whoever told you things got easier after first year failed to recognize a distinct pattern of school getting progressively more challenging with each year of advancement right from kindergarten all the way up the senior high school. It could be argued perhaps that in second year you've adapted to university life more, you've got the hardcore partying out of your system, and maybe you've lightened your course load and limited your extra-cirricular activities - but the key word here is "adapted."

It's not uncommon to run into the wall in first or second year university. Lots of people hit it because high school wasn't that much of a challenge - you could coast by with minimal effort. But in university you really need to hit the books hard and eficiently.

At this point it sounds like you really need to take a hard look at you chosen field. Do you really want to pursue it? And you also have to have an honest conversation with yourself and decide if you feel you're capable of being successfully pursuing it. If so, then you need to take a hard look at your study habits and figure out how to improve them.

First of all, I want to say that I understand your frustration and disappointment in your academic performance. It can be incredibly disheartening when you put in a lot of effort and don't see the results you were hoping for. However, I want to encourage you to not give up and to keep pushing forward.

One piece of advice I have is to seek help from your professors and teaching assistants. They are there to support and guide you, so don't be afraid to ask for clarification or additional resources to help you better understand the material. Additionally, consider joining a study group or finding a tutor who can provide you with personalized help and support.

It's also important to assess your study habits and make sure you are using effective techniques. This could include breaking down material into smaller chunks, practicing problems regularly, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

Furthermore, don't be afraid to reach out to your classmates and form study groups. Collaborating with others can help you gain new perspectives and approaches to the material.

Lastly, it's important to remember that grades are not everything. While they are important, they do not define your worth or potential as a scientist. Keep your passion for physics alive and keep working hard, and I have no doubt that you will see improvement in your academic performance. Don't give up and keep pushing forward. Best of luck to you.

Related to Physics Student Struggling in Canada: Ideas? Advice?

1. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of physics is to actively engage with the material. This can include doing practice problems, attending study groups or tutoring sessions, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online lectures. It is also important to ask questions and seek clarification from your professors or peers when needed.

2. What should I do if I am struggling with a specific topic in physics?

If you are struggling with a specific topic in physics, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Try to identify the specific areas that you are having trouble with and focus on understanding those first. You can also seek help from your professor, teaching assistant, or a tutor who can provide additional explanations and practice problems.

3. How can I balance my workload as a physics student in Canada?

One way to balance your workload as a physics student is to create a schedule and stick to it. This can help you stay organized and on top of your assignments and studying. It is also important to prioritize your tasks and make sure to take breaks and rest when needed. Seeking help from classmates or professors can also alleviate some of the workload.

4. What are some tips for succeeding in physics courses in Canada?

Some tips for succeeding in physics courses in Canada include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, actively participating in class discussions, and practicing regularly. It is also important to seek help when needed and to stay organized with assignments and studying. Additionally, staying curious and asking questions can help deepen your understanding of the material.

5. How can I stay motivated as a physics student in Canada?

Staying motivated as a physics student can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Setting clear goals for yourself and celebrating small achievements can help keep you motivated. It can also be helpful to find a study group or partner to stay accountable with. Additionally, reminding yourself of the bigger picture and why you are studying physics can help keep you motivated during difficult times.