Help with multiple browser screens

• Thread starter Claire84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of not being able to open multiple tabs in internet browsers. The suggestion is made to switch to Opera or Firefox for tabbed browsing. Some users also recommend using Mozilla or Avant for additional features such as popup blocking and a Google search bar. The advantages of tabbed browsing are discussed, with some users preferring Alt-Tab in Internet Explorer while others find it more convenient in Opera.
Claire84
This is probably going to seem like the simplest problem ever (and not a very big one at that), but no one I've spoken to seems to know how to fix it. Up until 2 nights ago I was able to have multiple browser screens when surfing the net but now my computer only allows me to have one and when I click on the explorer icon to bring another one up, it simply closes the other one and brings the new one up. I didn't alter any of my settings prior to this and the other 2 accounts on the computer have been left unaffected, so what's wrong? Any help would be much appreciated!

Claire :eek:

Computer science news on Phys.org
that is awefully strange, switch to opera or firefox so you can use tab windows ;)

Aye, if you don't have a strange obsession with Microsoft, make the switch to Firefox. It took me like 5 install and uninstalls of Firefox to finally get "addicted". I'd use it, and like it, but figure it's too much trouble to learn something new. Now I only load IExplorer to check for Windows Updates. Firefox is freaking awesome. Tabbed browsing is too cool.

If you are a die-hard MSIE fan, there is something called "Avant". It runs on top of IE and introduces a lot of the nifty features of Opera and Firefox, such as tabbed browsing.

Sorry, I can't provide an answer to your problem, but I just wanted to say that I also recommend firefox. It has many advantages over IE.

-Popup blocking
-Tabbed browsing
-Bookmark toolbar
-Google searchbar
-Cross platform (i.e. you can use it on windows, linux, and mac).
-Open source (you decide if that's an advantage).

You can download it here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

I choose to use firefox because it is a blue sphere playing around with an orange fox...I advise people to use Mozilla instead because I have heard that Mozilla is faster than Firefox...and it can also block pop-ups...
Most of my friends here use Firefox, therefore I intend to change my browser into something new, but MS's IE will never be my choice, Sorry MS, you are quite a Messie Moo!

By the way, Avant ? My answer will also be No because it works really "slow", I mean it doesn't seem to handle the "falsified" Proxies better then any other browsers, even IE. The only reason is that it is just like a child process borrowing text, data and stack segment from his parent but unluckily operating systems like OS/2, NT did never give the child an exact copy of those...I highly recommend you to nicely forget about it but if you have some ideas in your mind of the good it might have, I will again advise you to go get Opera instead because Opera works much better, I used to use it though, true!
Kabocha, You understand what I mean ? No ?
Okay, I don't care anyway, though I eat Kabocha everyday !

Personally, I use Opera. It is kinda hard to say which one is "better", Opera or Firefox. Neither of them are perfect, but they are more comfortable to use and less of a security risk than IE.

Try this… open IE and click “tools,” “internet options,” “advance tab” and uncheck “reuse windows for launching shortcuts”

If the icon you are using to open IE is actually a shortcut (which many times it is) then this will solve your problem.

Or try opening IE by clicking “start” “run” type “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” and hit enter….

HTH,

Things Firefox has that IE supposedly does not have

HBar said:
Sorry, I can't provide an answer to your problem, but I just wanted to say that I also recommend firefox. It has many advantages over IE.

-Popup blocking
Check (IE has this).

-Tabbed browsing
ALT-Tab seems to work well in IE.

-Bookmark toolbar
Check (IE has this).

-Google searchbar
Check (IE has this).

You can download it here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Creating new tabs is the only feature I like from Fox, whereas IE always asks me to create new windows, which is really a unstoppable noise for a young scientist like me individually and the whole science community in general. :shy: :tongue2:

hitssquad: Alt-Tab has nothing to do with tabbed browsing. Tabbed browsing refers to the fact that you can have multiple pages all within the same browser window. On the bottom (or top) of the browser window you have a little tab-bar like the taskbar, with each tab representing one page. The advantage is that you only have to open one instance of Opera, instead of having one for each page you are browsing.

There is also the security issue: Due to the fact that most people use IE, most of the nasty stuff such as worms are targeted at IE and won't work with Firefox or Opera.

Also, IE is getting behind the game, these days. Many websites now offer features that can only be accessed in Firefox, or Opera. (Wikipedia comes to mind)

hittsquad, IE doesn't have tabbed browsing built in.
IE doesn't have pop-up blocking built in.
IE doesn't have a google search bar built in.

If I'm wrong please tell me how to enable these options. I'm aware that you can download 3rd party apps for those features, but I'm pretty sure they aren't built in.

You're right about the bookmark toolbar though. I guess I didn't look hard enough for it.

Tabbed browsing and its higher latency - this is valuable?

Greg Bernhardt said:
that is awefully strange, switch to opera or firefox so you can use tab windows ;)
Tabbed browsing in Opera doesn't seem to offer any advantages over Alt-Tab in IE. I find myself using Ctrl-Tab in Opera to emulate the low-latency and convenience of IE's Alt-Tab. Pointing-and-clicking, as Opera's tabbed browsing requires, adds quite a bit if latency over Alt-Tab. But tabbed browsing might make sense in conjunction with an eye mouse, since the latter would reduce the browser-window selection latency otherwise inherent in tabbed browsing.

FZ+ said:
Many websites now offer features that can only be accessed in Firefox, or Opera. (Wikipedia comes to mind)
I'm on the wikipedia site right now in Opera. I don't see any features not present in IE.

Ya, but IE sucks.

Anyhow, not sure if this will help but a usefull keyboard shortcut for opening new browser windows is CTRL+N. This will clone the page you are currently on and open it in a new window.

also, Pushing the Window Key (Between CTRL and ALT) and E at the same time will open an explorer window, which you can then type in the address you wish to go to.

But I'd have to agree with most everyone in that finding something other then IE will solve most your problems. Avant is nothing more then a Skin for IE, adds some features but still the same crap once the shine wears off.

I've actually been really happy with Netscape, been fairly quick, doesn't crash, and I use Adaware daily so I don't have popups to worry about.

What is the purpose of having multiple browser screens?

Having multiple browser screens allows for multitasking and efficient organization of tasks. It also allows for comparison and reference between different web pages or documents.

How can I open multiple browser screens?

To open multiple browser screens, you can either right-click on the browser icon and select "Open new window" or use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + N" for Windows or "Command + N" for Mac.

Can I have different web pages open on each browser screen?

Yes, you can have different web pages open on each browser screen. This allows for easy multitasking and referencing between different websites.

How can I switch between multiple browser screens?

To switch between multiple browser screens, you can either click on the desired browser screen or use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + Tab" for Windows or "Command + Tab" for Mac.

Is there a limit to the number of browser screens I can have open?

The number of browser screens you can have open is dependent on your computer's processing power and memory. However, it is recommended to not have too many open at once to avoid slowing down your computer.