Proof Check: Closure of Union Contains Union of Closures

In summary, this proof shows that for a set ##X## containing ##A_i## for all ##i##, the closure of the union of ##A_i## is a superset of the union of the closures of ##A_i##. This is an important result in set theory and your proof is a solid demonstration of this fact. Good job!
Mandelbroth
I intend to show, for a set ##X## containing ##A_i## for all ##i##, $$\overline{\bigcup A_i}\supseteq \bigcup \overline{A_i}.$$
//Proof: We proceed to prove that ##\forall x\in X,~x\in\bigcup\overline{A_i}\implies x\in\overline{\bigcup A_i}##. Equivalently, ##\forall x\in X,~x\not\in\overline{\bigcup A_i}\implies x\not\in\bigcup\overline{A_i}##. Thus, let ##x\not\in\overline{\bigcup A_i}##.

From this, we conclude ##\exists N\ni x: N\cap(\bigcup A_i)=\emptyset\implies\bigcup (N\cap A_i)=\emptyset\implies\forall i,~N\cap A_i=\emptyset##.

##\therefore \forall i,~x\not\in\overline{A_i}##. Thus, ##x\not\in\bigcup\overline{A_i}##, and we conclude ##\overline{\bigcup A_i}\supseteq \bigcup \overline{A_i}##. Halmos.

This proof is correct, right?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to commend you on your proof and confirm that it is indeed correct. Your use of logical equivalences and set notation is clear and concise, making it easy to follow your reasoning. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the "Closure of Union" in the context of proof checking?

The closure of union refers to the set of all points that can be reached by taking the union of two or more sets and then applying the closure operation. It is a fundamental concept in topology and is often used in mathematical proofs to show that a particular set is closed.

2. How is the "Closure of Union" related to the "Union of Closures"?

The closure of union and the union of closures are related through the statement "Closure of Union Contains Union of Closures". This means that the closure of the union of two sets contains the union of the closures of those two sets. In other words, the closure of the union is always a superset of the union of the closures.

3. Why is it important to prove the statement "Closure of Union Contains Union of Closures"?

Proving this statement is important because it is a key property of topological spaces and is often used in more complex proofs. It also helps to establish the relationship between the closure and union operations, which are both fundamental concepts in topology.

4. How is this statement used in practical applications?

The statement "Closure of Union Contains Union of Closures" is used in many practical applications, such as in computer science, engineering, and physics. It is particularly useful in fields that involve analyzing the properties of complex systems, as it helps to determine the closedness of a set.

5. Are there any exceptions to the statement "Closure of Union Contains Union of Closures"?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this statement. In certain topological spaces, such as those with an empty closure, the statement may not hold. It is important to carefully consider the specific properties of the topological space being studied in order to determine if the statement holds true or if exceptions need to be taken into account.