Inverse Polar Graph: Graphing r=ArcCos(θ)

In summary: However, in this case, because the domain of the function is [-1,1], there is no real number whose Cos is greater than 1, and so the graph will not actually be a spiral.
Mike AkA Don
I need to figure out what or if what I found is why it is.

I need the inverse of a polar equation graphed.
When I say inverse I mean switching the variables and then placing it in proper form again.

I have the equation r=Cos(θ) which produces the following graph.
http://images.iceogen.net/cospheta.gif

What I need is r=ArcCos(θ), when put in Mathematica it gives me this.
http://images.iceogen.net/inverse.gif

Between the left end of the line and the x and y axises multiple values of pheta exist but they are not ploted, I believe it is because they aren't real, but why? and can this be properly graphed?

Mathematicas gives me these errors:
{ArcCos[θ] Cos[θ],ArcCos[θ] Sin[θ]} does not evaluate to a pair of real numbers at θ = 1.0453537892798384
{ArcCos[θ] Cos[θ],ArcCos[θ] Sin[θ]} does not evaluate to a pair of real numbers at θ = 1.011390375748485
{ArcCos[θ] Cos[θ],ArcCos[θ] Sin[θ]} does not evaluate to a pair of real numbers at θ = 1.0036610320397505

Any answers would be much appriciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica is correct (as it usually is). The problem is that the domain of ArcCos is [-1,1] (since the range of Cos is [-1,1]). In other words, there is no real number whose Cos is greater than 1. You can therefore only plot your equation from -1 <= theta <= 1.

-Dale

I didn't ask the right question sorry... I shouldn't have used cos... What I need to know is this...

If the graph of r=θ is a spiral, what would the inverse of a spiral look like?

To find inverses you switch variables and solve. E.g. to find the inverse of y=x^2 you switch variables x=y^2 and solve for y to get y=x^(1/2). Same thing here, you switch variables θ=r and solve for r to get r=θ. So, in polar coordinates, the spiral r=θ is its own inverse, just like the line y=x is its own inverse.

-Dale

You can use graphmatica ( <-feel lucky & google on ) for these quick-plot purposes

1. What is an inverse polar graph?

An inverse polar graph is a type of graph that represents a polar equation in which the roles of the variables r and θ are reversed. In other words, the value of r is determined by the angle θ, rather than the other way around as in a traditional polar graph.

2. How is an inverse polar graph different from a regular polar graph?

An inverse polar graph is different from a regular polar graph in that the roles of the variables r and θ are reversed. In a regular polar graph, the value of r depends on the value of θ, but in an inverse polar graph, the value of θ depends on the value of r.

3. What does the equation r=ArcCos(θ) represent in an inverse polar graph?

The equation r=ArcCos(θ) represents a curve that is the inverse of the cosine function in a polar coordinate system. This means that for every value of r, there is a corresponding value of θ that produces that value of r when plugged into the equation.

4. How do you graph r=ArcCos(θ) on a polar coordinate system?

To graph r=ArcCos(θ) on a polar coordinate system, you can plot points by choosing different values of θ and calculating the corresponding value of r using the inverse cosine function. Then, connect the points to create a smooth curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of inverse polar graphs?

Inverse polar graphs have various applications in science and engineering, such as in the design of satellite communication systems, the analysis of seismological data, and the modeling of planetary orbits. They are also used in image reconstruction and computer graphics.