"Allow Overlap" in "Format Drawing Canvas", Layout, Advanced

In summary, "allow overlap" is a setting in Microsoft Word 2007's Advanced settings for Layout when formatting a drawing canvas. It allows for pictures with the same wrapping style to either overlap or push each other to prevent overlap. Unchecking this option is recommended to avoid annoying overlaps.
nomadreid
Gold Member
When formatting a drawing canvas in Microsoft Word 2007, one box to click or unclick (by default, it is selected) when one goes to the Advanced settings of Layout is "allow overlap." Overlap of what?

Computer science news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
When formatting a drawing canvas in Microsoft Word 2007, one box to click or unclick (by default, it is selected) when one goes to the Advanced settings of Layout is "allow overlap." Overlap of what?

"Allow overlap" is for allowing pictures with the same wrapping style to overlap or not (checked or unchecked respectively). If it is unchecked pictures will push each other to prevent overlap.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, QuantumQuest. Hm, overlapping pictures, with one blocking part of the other, would be annoying (that has already occurred when I had it checked), so I guess unless I line them up perfectly, the safest is to uncheck it. "Push" I presume means create a separation between the frames of the canvases.

You just have to experiment a little bit in order to have the result you want :wink:

Likes nomadreid
Indeed, with Microsoft Word apparently attempting to compete with quantum physics as the most convoluted phenomenon on earth, I do a lot of experimenting :confused:

Likes Tom.G and QuantumQuest

Related to "Allow Overlap" in "Format Drawing Canvas", Layout, Advanced

What does the "Allow Overlap" option do in the "Format Drawing Canvas" menu?

The "Allow Overlap" option in the "Format Drawing Canvas" menu allows objects on the canvas to overlap each other. This means that you can move objects on top of or behind other objects without them automatically snapping into place.

How does enabling "Allow Overlap" affect the layout of my drawing canvas?

Enabling "Allow Overlap" can give you more control over the layout of your drawing canvas. Without this option, objects will automatically snap into place, making it difficult to create a more complex layout. With "Allow Overlap" enabled, you can freely move and arrange objects on the canvas without them automatically snapping into place.

Are there any downsides to using the "Allow Overlap" option?

One downside to using the "Allow Overlap" option is that it can make it more difficult to align objects precisely. If you are trying to create a perfectly aligned layout, it may be better to disable "Allow Overlap" to ensure that objects snap into place.

Can I still use the "Snap to Grid" feature with "Allow Overlap" enabled?

Yes, you can still use the "Snap to Grid" feature with "Allow Overlap" enabled. This can help you create a more organized and aligned layout while still having the flexibility to overlap objects.

Is there a way to turn off "Allow Overlap" for specific objects on the canvas?

Yes, you can turn off "Allow Overlap" for specific objects on the canvas by selecting the object and then going to the "Format" tab and unchecking the "Allow Overlap" option. This allows you to have a combination of overlapping and non-overlapping objects on your drawing canvas.