Calculating Distance Traveled Using Antiderivatives: Solving for k

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance traveled by a car decelerating from 70km/h to a stop in 6 seconds. One method is to use a graph and calculate the area under the curve, resulting in a distance of 58.2m. Another method is to use antiderivatives, which yields a distance of 116.4m. There is confusion about the value of the constant k in the antiderivative formula, but it is determined that k=0 in this specific problem.
yangxu

Homework Statement

A car going 70km/h comes to a stop in 6 seconds, assume that the deceleration is constant, find the distance traveled using a graph; find the distance traveled using antiderivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the deceleration is constant, I would assume that the slope (derivative) of the graph would also be constant, hence the graph should look like a straight line with a negative slope.

Converting 70km/h into m/s, I get 19.4m/s. To calculate the distance, I simply took the area under the curve, which is a triangle:

(19.4 x 6)/2 = 58.2m

But when I'm using antiderivatives to solve this, I get a different answer...

S(6) = intergral v(t)dt = 19.4 (6) = 116.4m

It seems like this answer is twice as much as the one when calculated using a graph, and I'm sure the graph should be the right answer... could someone please tell me which part did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity is not constant, but rather a function of time..

[tex]\int kt dt = \frac{1}{2} k t^2+C[/tex]

Thanks for your correction Nate. I'm still a bit confused though, if velocity at time 0 = 19.4, and that at time 6 is 0, wouldn't C always equal to 0?

Not "always". For this particular problem, yes.

Thanks HallsofIvy, I attempted to solve using the corrected equation, but I still can't seem to get the right answer. I believe k is a constant in this formula, but how do I determine it? At time 0, the whole 1/2(kt^2) is equal to 0, am I supposed to use the distance at a different time (eg. t = 1s) to solve for k?

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. In other words, it is the "undoing" of a derivative.

2. Why do we need to find antiderivatives?

Finding antiderivatives is useful in many areas of science and mathematics. It allows us to find the original function from its derivative, which is important in solving many real-world problems.

3. How do you solve an antiderivative problem?

In order to solve an antiderivative problem, you need to use techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitutions. These techniques involve finding patterns and using algebraic manipulation to find the correct antiderivative.

4. What is the difference between an indefinite and definite antiderivative?

An indefinite antiderivative is a general solution that includes a constant, while a definite antiderivative is a specific solution with numerical values for the limits of integration. The constant in an indefinite antiderivative can be determined by using the definite antiderivative.

5. How do antiderivatives relate to the area under a curve?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the derivative of an antiderivative is equal to the original function. This means that the antiderivative can be used to find the area under a curve, as the integral of a function represents the area under the curve. Antiderivatives are an important tool in calculating areas and volumes in many scientific and mathematical applications.