Can I get masters in physics after bachelors in engineering?

In summary, the person in the conversation is in the final semester of their bachelors in Mechanical engineering with a 65% aggregate percentage. They are interested in studying physics and astronomy, but opted for engineering after higher secondary. They are concerned that it is too late to pursue their passion and their depression caused them to not excel in their studies. They have a fair grasp of their subjects and are from India, where the education system is different from the US and Europe. They are not sure if their scores are good enough for US universities and are unsure about the admission process. They have heard about the GRE and are wondering if a good score on the test would help. The expert summarizer suggests that the person do well in their current studies
JOULEJATT
I am in the final semester of my bachelors in Mechanical engineering, my aggregate %age is only 65. I am interested in studying physics, astronomy, I always wanted to, but I opted for engineering after my higher secondary(10+2) instead of bachelors in physics. Now I feel that it is too late to start doing what I am passionate about. I was quite depressed during last few years and could not concentrate on my studies.I have, I would not say excellent, but a fair grasp of my subjects. But something tells me that I should go for it. I am from India, the education system here is quite different than that of the U.S. and Europe, we do not have the concepts of major and minor in engineering, there are just subjects divided in 8 semesters. My problem is that my scores are not good enough for universities in the U.S., also I do not know anything about the admission process. I have visited several universities' websites and they all say something about recommendation letters from faculty who are acquainted with the my academic or research qualifications. Am I good enough to study masters in physics in U.S.. after bachelors in Mechanical engineering with average scores.I know there are a lot of good institutions in India like the IITs, but I want to move out on my own. I have heard about GRE, If I score good in this test, will it help?

Physics news on Phys.org
JOULEJATT said:
I am in the final semester of my bachelors in Mechanical engineering, my aggregate %age is only 65. I am interested in studying physics, astronomy, I always wanted to, but I opted for engineering after my higher secondary(10+2) instead of bachelors in physics. Now I feel that it is too late to start doing what I am passionate about. I was quite depressed during last few years and could not concentrate on my studies.I have, I would not say excellent, but a fair grasp of my subjects. But something tells me that I should go for it. I am from India, the education system here is quite different than that of the U.S. and Europe, we do not have the concepts of major and minor in engineering, there are just subjects divided in 8 semesters. My problem is that my scores are not good enough for universities in the U.S., also I do not know anything about the admission process. I have visited several universities' websites and they all say something about recommendation letters from faculty who are acquainted with the my academic or research qualifications. Am I good enough to study masters in physics in U.S.. after bachelors in Mechanical engineering with average scores.I know there are a lot of good institutions in India like the IITs, but I want to move out on my own. I have heard about GRE, If I score good in this test, will it help?

Finding a terminal masters program in the US for physics isn't the easiest, and your grades probably won't get you accepted to any US university worth going to. Instead of getting depressed about the situation, you should have done better in your current studies. If possible, it would be advisable to get a bachelors in physics from India, do well, and then apply for a PhD program here in the US if that's still what you want to do.

Student100 said:
Finding a terminal masters program in the US for physics isn't the easiest, and your grades probably won't get you accepted to any US university worth going to. Instead of getting depressed about the situation, you should have done better in your current studies. If possible, it would be advisable to get a bachelors in physics from India, do well, and then apply for a PhD program here in the US if that's still what you want to do.
did you mean masters degree in physics in India?also if I get a masters in physics, what chances would I have to study astronomy and astrophysics?

1. Can I pursue a Masters in Physics after completing a Bachelor's in Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Physics after completing a Bachelor's in Engineering. Many universities offer graduate programs in Physics for students with a background in engineering. However, additional coursework may be required to bridge any gaps in knowledge between the two fields.

2. Do I need a Bachelor's degree in Physics to apply for a Masters in Physics?

No, you do not necessarily need a Bachelor's degree in Physics to apply for a Masters in Physics. Many universities also accept applicants with a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as engineering, as long as they have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics courses.

3. Are there any specific requirements or prerequisites for applying to a Masters in Physics program with a Bachelor's in Engineering?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but some common prerequisites for applying to a Masters in Physics program with a Bachelor's in Engineering may include a minimum GPA, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), and specific coursework in mathematics and physics. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.

4. Will my Bachelor's in Engineering provide me with enough preparation for a Masters in Physics?

Yes, a Bachelor's degree in Engineering can provide a strong foundation for pursuing a Masters in Physics. Engineering and physics share many fundamental concepts and principles, and your engineering coursework may have also included some physics courses. However, as mentioned before, some additional coursework may be necessary to fill any gaps in knowledge between the two fields.

5. Can I use my engineering skills in a career in physics after completing a Masters in Physics?

Yes, your engineering skills can be valuable in a career in physics. The problem-solving, analytical, and technical skills developed through an engineering education can be applied to various areas of physics, such as research, development, and design. Many industries, such as aerospace and technology, also value individuals with a background in both engineering and physics.