Can I use free programs to add drawings to my posts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of free programs for adding drawings to a post. The suggested program is Google Drawings, which has both a web-based and desktop version. It is recommended for use on Physics Forums and Stack Exchange. Other options include exporting SVG files from GeoGebra and editing them in Inkscape, or directly taking a screenshot of the desired region. However, exporting to various formats and TeX-package graphics commands may not always be reliable.
mathman
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Available free software
Are there free programs to add drawings to a post?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can copy/paste with the current forum software. I that what you mean?

1602204565763.png

mathman said:
Are there free programs to add drawings to a post?
Are you asking for a program with which you can make drawings? If yes, check out Google Drawings.

https://www.geogebra.org/
While there is a web based version,
I like to use the desktop version.
When posting for PF, I’ll take a screenshot of a region. Exporting the view to various formats is also possible, but isn’t 100% reliable.

Likes sysprog
robphy said:
https://www.geogebra.org/
While there is a web based version,
I like to use the desktop version.
When posting for PF, I’ll take a screenshot of a region. Exporting the view to various formats is also possible, but isn’t 100% reliable.
You can export svg files from geogebra, then edit the svg files in inkscape ##-## https://inkscape.org ##-## then export as png files from inkscape . . .

sysprog said:
You can export svg files from geogebra, then edit the svg files in inkscape ##-## https://inkscape.org ##-## then export as png files from inkscape . . .
When submitting figures from GeoGebra for a paper,
I do that: export to svg, clean up in inkspace if needed, then convert to .eps.

For physicsforums (or stackexhange), I just do a screenshot of the region I want... SnagIt gets that into my clipboard. I can directly paste into PF without first creating a png file.

(Exporting .eps isn't reliable. Exporting various TeX-package graphics commands isn't reliable.
... at least in GeoGebra 5 classic. [I prefer it to GeoGebra 6].)

1. Can I legally use free programs to add drawings to my posts?

Yes, as long as the free program is licensed under a permissive license such as the Creative Commons or GNU General Public License, you are allowed to use it for personal or commercial purposes.

2. How do I know if a free drawing program is safe to use?

It is important to do your research and read reviews before downloading any free program. Look for programs that have positive ratings and a large user base. You can also check the program's website for security certifications and privacy policies.

3. Can I use free programs to add drawings to my posts for my business or brand?

Yes, as long as the program's license allows for commercial use, you can use it to create drawings for your business or brand. However, make sure to check the program's terms and conditions to ensure you are using it within their guidelines.

4. Are there any limitations to using free drawing programs for my posts?

Some free drawing programs may have limited features compared to paid programs. Make sure to check the program's features and capabilities before using it to ensure it meets your needs.

5. Can I edit and modify drawings created with free programs?

Yes, you are allowed to edit and modify drawings created with free programs. However, make sure to check the program's license to see if there are any restrictions on modifications or further distribution of the modified work.