Dear Experts I like Hydraulic mechanisms as it can be used to lift

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hydraulic mechanisms for lifting heavy objects with little force and the prevention of leaking through the use of fluids like oil. It also mentions the advancements in hydraulic sealing technology and suggests consulting catalogs from seal manufacturers for further understanding. The conversation also briefly touches on the design considerations for steam and condensate pipes, which have different mass and volume flow rates. Finally, the conversation concludes with a question on how to connect two hydraulic cylinders to prevent oil leakage.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

I like Hydraulic mechanisms as it can be used to lift heavy things with little force.

I like to find out more about it.

1. How is leaking prevented ? Fluid is used to transfer the energy. For example, oil. It is so fine, how can the oil not ooze from the piston-cylinder gap?

Or how is such situation mitigated? For example , hydraulic brake system used in a car. How is it made practical and safe given the oil is so fine it can ooze out of the hydraulic system when under pressure?

Have a nice day.

Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org

Modern hydraulic sealing technology is incredibly amazing, far beyond the scope of this forum. I'd suggest that you go look at the catalogs from the seal manufacturers. Most have engineering details sections that would help you understand much. You might start with Parker, but a Google search would yield a very large number of such suppliers.

Thanks for your information.

Have a nice day.

Is the flowrate and velocity of a steam pipe and that of the condensate going back to the boiler the same? if so, when designing, do you design them both to be the same pipe diameter (that of the condensate and steam)?

Mass flow rate is the same. Volume flow rate is much different. Speed is whatever you design it to be. The two pipes are two entirely different designs.

Last edited:
Connect 2 hydraulic cylinders

Hello anyone please help me,

I found the oil leakage at the joint of two hydraulic cylinders when I installing lift. Then how to connect 2 hydraulic cylinders?

What is a hydraulic mechanism?

A hydraulic mechanism is a system that uses liquid, typically oil, to transfer force and power. It consists of a pump, a reservoir, valves, and cylinders to create movement and lift heavy objects.

How does a hydraulic mechanism work?

A hydraulic mechanism works by using Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. When force is applied to the liquid in the system, it transfers that force to the piston of a cylinder, causing it to move and lift the object.

What are the advantages of using hydraulic mechanisms for lifting?

Some advantages of using hydraulic mechanisms for lifting include their ability to lift heavy loads with relatively small forces, their smooth and precise movement, and their versatility in various applications. They also require less maintenance compared to other lifting mechanisms.

What are the limitations of hydraulic mechanisms?

One limitation of hydraulic mechanisms is the potential for leaks, which can cause a loss of pressure and decrease the effectiveness of the system. They also require a power source, such as an electric motor or engine, to operate.

What are some common uses of hydraulic mechanisms?

Hydraulic mechanisms have a wide range of uses, including car lifts, construction equipment, aircraft landing gears, and elevators. They are also commonly used in manufacturing processes, such as stamping and molding, and in hydraulic presses for materials testing.